[MARMAM] New Publication: Operational Protocols for the Use of Drones in Marine Animal Research

Vanessa Pirotta (HDR) vanessa.pirotta at hdr.mq.edu.au
Sun Sep 27 21:11:45 PDT 2020

Dear MARMAM readers,

My colleagues and I would like to share our new publication:

Operational Protocols for the Use of Drones in Marine Animal Research

Raoult, V.; Colefax, A.P.; Allan, B.M.; Cagnazzi, D.; Castelblanco-Martínez, N.; Ierodiaconou, D.; Johnston, D.W.; Landeo-Yauri, S.; Lyons, M.; Pirotta, V.; Schofield, G.; Butcher, P.A. Operational Protocols for the Use of Drones in Marine Animal Research. Drones 2020, 4, 64.

Abstract
The use of drones to study marine animals shows promise for the examination of numerous aspects of their ecology, behaviour, health and movement patterns. However, the responses of some marine phyla to the presence of drones varies broadly, as do the general operational protocols used to study them. Inconsistent methodological approaches could lead to difficulties comparing studies and can call into question the repeatability of research. This review draws on current literature and researchers with a wealth of practical experience to outline the idiosyncrasies of studying various marine taxa with drones. We also outline current best practice for drone operation in marine environments based on the literature and our practical experience in the field. The protocols outlined herein will be of use to researchers interested in incorporating drones as a tool into their research on marine animals and will help form consistent approaches for drone-based studies in the future.

Available here:https://doi.org/10.3390/drones4040064

Dr. Vanessa Pirotta
Marine Predator Research Group
Department of Biological Sciences
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
Twitter: @vanessapirotta
Watch my TEDx talk here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PXgFoTtwi0>