[MARMAM] Public Webinar- Whale Safe

Callie Steffen calliesteffen at ucsb.edu
Fri Sep 25 18:17:41 PDT 2020

Dear MARMAM Community,

My colleagues and I are excited to invite you to a public webinar to learn
about the new tool Whale Safe <http://whalesafe.com/>, the first near
real-time whale detection system that uses AI-powered ocean sensors, big
data models, and citizen science data to help reduce lethal collisions
between endangered whales and large ships in Southern California.
Unfortunately,
scientists estimate that over 80 endangered whales are killed by ship
collisions off the U.S. West Coast each year. To help prevent these fatal
collisions, Whale Safe provides near real-time data insights on whale and
ship activity in the Santa Barbara Channel and near the Ports of Los
Angeles and Long Beach.

Whale Safe Webinar

Friday October 2nd 11am - 12pm PT

Register at bit.ly/2ZYb6vl

The webinar will include short presentations from the science team, a
demonstration of how the tool works, and time for Q&A. Featured speakers
include:

   -

   Dr. Briana Abrahms, Assistant Professor, University of Washington
   -

   Dr. Ana Širović, Associate Professor, Texas A&M University at Galveston
   -

   Dr. Mark Baumgartner, Senior Scientist, Woods Hole Oceanographic
   Institution
   -

   Morgan Visalli, Project Scientist, Benioff Ocean Initiative, University
   of California Santa Barbara
   -

You can also check out the new website at www.whalesafe.com

We look forward to connecting with you and answering your questions at the
upcoming webinar. Please feel free to share widely with your networks.

Callie Steffen
Pronouns: She/Her