[MARMAM] New Publication: Seasonal occurrence and diel-calling pattern of crabeater seals off the Maud Rise, Antarctica

Fannie Shabangu fannie.shabangu at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 21 04:38:01 PDT 2020

Dear MARMAM Colleagues

My co-author and I are pleased to announce the publication of our new paper in Bioacoustics.

Shabangu FW, Charif RA (2020): Short moan call reveals seasonal occurrence and diel-calling pattern of crabeater seals in the Weddell Sea, Antarctica. Bioacoustics, DOI: 10.1080/09524622.2020.1819877
Abstract

 Crabeater seals (Lobodon carcinophaga) are an important component of the Southern Ocean as they are the most abundant pinniped species in this krill-based ecosystem; however, their acoustic repertoire and ecology remain to be fully described. Seasonal occurrence and diel-calling pattern of crabeater seal off the Maud Rise, eastern Weddell Sea, are described using passive acoustic monitoring data collected over 8 months (mid-January to mid-September) in 2014. We describe a new call type of crabeater seals, the short moan call (mean 90% duration: 2.2 ± 0.3 (SD) s, peak frequency: 596.5 ± 109.4 Hz, and frequency range: 122–1024 Hz), which was the only detected call type and 1871 calls were enumerated. Those crabeater seal calls were detected from April until mid-September (with peak in calling around September), which coincided with the appearance of sea ice. Short moan call rates were highest at night in August (i.e., 6.4 calls per minute) and September, and showed no diel variations for April through July. Distance to the sea ice edge and month of the year were the most important predictors of call occurrence and call rates of crabeater seals. This study highlights the Maud Rise as a useful habitat for this species.
The first 50 free online copies of the paper can be downloaded at: https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/RKJVKSHHM3SKNSGU7Y69/full?target=10.1080/09524622.2020.1819877, or you can email me for a PDF copy.

Warm regards,
Fannie

Fannie W. Shabangu, PhDMarine Biologist
Fisheries Management Branch
Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries
Cape Town, South Africa
Email: FannieS at daff.gov.za; fannie.shabangu at yahoo.com
Mobile: +27 74 220 0210
Tel: +27 21 402 3553