[MARMAM] Seeking acoustic recordings from UK waters for use in education and outreach project (The Cloud Aquarium)

Freya Pellie fpellie at outlook.com
Sun Sep 20 04:09:49 PDT 2020

Dear MARMAM community,

I am currently seeking acoustic recordings from UK waters for use in an education and outreach project, entitled The Cloud Aquarium, and was wondering if any of you might be interested in contributing any recordings of marine mammal vocalisations to the project? I have outlined the project and what we are looking for below. If you have any questions or would like further information, please feel free to contact me via email.

- Project Details -
The Cloud Aquarium primarily comprises a pop-up interactive theatre show, introducing audiences to the wonders of marine ecology through spoken word, movement, puppetry, and soundscape. The performance is scheduled to be taken to a series of events in summer 2021. From January 2021 onwards, online resources delivered through social media will accompany the performance series. Links and references to current research will be integrated into our online resources, enabling viewers to delve further into the topics and creatures which the show introduces. The project is a collaboration between early career researchers and professional performing artists with a passion for environmental education. Our aim is to showcase the diversity of life in UK waters and introduce audiences to issues that these organisms face. This is partially a response to my own disconnect with marine biology as a child, perceiving it as something conducted solely in exotic, far-flung locations that I would never be able to visit. The project is supported by the British Ecological Society (BES) who are kindly contributing to the costs of materials, rehearsal space hire, and logo design.

- What We Are Looking For -
We are looking for short extracts of field recordings (between 10 seconds and 5 minutes long) from any species found in UK waters, ideally with a good signal to noise ratio. These will be compiled into a soundscape by a producer, alongside recordings of other marine organisms. As the incredible sounds of marine mammals were one of the main things that drew me to this field, for me it is paramount that marine mammals are included in the soundscape for the show. We regret that we are unable to pay for the use of recordings (all staff, myself included, are working on the project voluntarily) but all contributors will be credited. Given your permission, we will also seek to promote the work of contributors through social media channels and during the discussion section that will culminate each performance.  You will of course retain ownership of the original recording and remain free to use it for any other purpose.

If you have any recording(s) that you would like to contribute to the project, or have any questions, please get in touch via email at fpellie at outlook.com

Kind regards,
Freya Pellie

fpellie at outlook.com