[MARMAM] Fwd: New publication - Oceanographic Determinants of the Abundance of Common Dolphins (Delphinus delphis) in the South of Portugal

Joana Castro jmadeiracastro at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 04:00:25 PDT 2020

Dear all,

My co-authors and I are please to announce and share our latest paper
titled Oceanographic Determinants of the Abundance of Common Dolphins
(*Delphinus
delphis*) in the South of Portugal

Castro, J.; Couto, A.; Borges, F.O.; Cid, A.; Laborde, M.I.; Pearson, H.C.;
Rosa, R. Oceanographic Determinants of the Abundance of Common
Dolphins (*Delphinus
delphis*) in the South of Portugal. *Oceans* *2020*, *1*, 165-173.
https://doi.org/10.3390/oceans1030012

Abstract:
Off mainland Portugal, the common dolphin (*Delphinus delphis*) is the most
sighted cetacean, although information on this species is limited. The
Atlantic coast of Southern Portugal is characterized by an intense
wind-driven upwelling, creating ideal conditions for common dolphins. Using
data collected aboard whale-watching boats (1929 sightings and 4548 h
effort during 2010–2014), this study aims to understand the relationships
between abundance rates (AR) of dolphins of different age classes (adults,
juveniles, calves and newborns) and oceanographic [chlorophyll a (Chl-a)
and sea surface temperature (SST)] variables. Over 70% of the groups
contained immature animals. The AR of adults was negatively related with
Chl-a, but not related to SST values. The AR of juveniles was positively
related with SST. For calves and newborns, although the relationship
between SST and AR is similar to that observed for juveniles, the effect
could not be distinguished from zero. There was no relationship between
Chl-a levels and the AR of juveniles, calves and newborns. These results
corroborate previous findings that common dolphins tend to occur in highly
productive areas demonstrating linkages between their abundance and
oceanographic variables, and that this region may be a potential nursery
ground.

The paper can be found here: https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/1/3/12/htm
Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Best regards

Joana Castro