[MARMAM] New publication: Humpback Whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) Resighted Eight Years After Stranding

Mariana C Neves maricneves at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 17:45:07 PDT 2020

On behalf of my co-authors I would like to share our recent note on a
successful rescue of a humpback whale published in Aquatic Mammals.

Mariana C. Neves, Hugo G. Neto, Ana L. Cypriano-Souza, Berenice M. G. da
Silva, Shirley P. de Souza, Milton C. C. Marcondes, and Marcia H. Engel.
(2020). Humpback Whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) Resighted Eight Years After
Stranding. Aquatic Mammals, 46(5), 483-487. DOI:
https://doi.org/10.1578/AM.465.2020.483

Abstract:
Refloating is a common strategy to deal with stranded whales, but
resighting reports are rare, especially after long periods of several
years. Here, we report the longest known period between rescue and
resighting of an adult male humpback whale (8 years) identified through DNA
analyzes. The whale stranded in a beach (Ubatuba, São Paulo state, Brazil)
in the end of the breeding season (November 2000), and was resighted after
eight years within the main Southwest Atlantic breeding area (Abrolhos
Bank, Bahia state, Brazil) as part of a competitive group (July 2008). The
novel refloating procedure involved the use of a rope behind the pectoral
fin region. Our report provides useful information for similar operations
and clarifies conditions under which refloating of large cetaceans is
worth-attempting, such as whale’s physical condition, site
characteristics,equipment availability, and adequate procedures.

The note is available at <https://doi.org/10.1578/AM.46.5.2020.483>
Please email me if you have any questions or difficult in assessing it:
maricneves at gmail.com

Best regards,
Mariana
--
Msc. Mariana Cappello Neves

Ph.D. student
Programa de Pós-graduação em Oceanografia, Universidade do Estado do Rio de
Janeiro - UERJ
Laboratório de Mamíferos Aquáticos e Bioindicadores (MAQUA)
Rua São Francisco Xavier, 524, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, Brasil
20550-013
Tel: +55 21 99867-9542

Livre
de vírus. www.avast.com
<#m_1479554834122672321_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>