[MARMAM] Mediterranean monk seal (Monachus monachus) sightings in Israel 2009–2020

elasar.ma at gmail.com elasar.ma at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:29:43 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues

Apologies for cross-posting.

On behalf of my co-authors, I would like to draw your attention to a new paper on Mediterranean monk seal (Monachus monachus) sightings in Israel:

Roditi-Elasar M, Bundone L, Goffman O, Scheinin P.A, Kerem H.D. 2020. Mediterranean monk seal (Monachus monachus) sightings in Israel 2009–2020: Extralimital records or signs of population expansion?. Marine Mammal Science. https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12734

Abstract
After 50 years of absence and a ‘Possibly Extinct’ classification by IUCN, numerous reports of Mediterranean monk seal along the Israeli coast accumulated since 2010. Eighty-three encounters, 16% of which were also photographed, were reviewed, categorized according to reliability of information and subjected to natural-markings photo-identification. Two different individuals were identified until April 2020. One, a female named ‘Maya’, was photographed repeatedly over the years. 'Maya' was also identified in early 2020 north of Beirut, Lebanon, stressing the importance of a regional cooperative research and conservation plan.

Please e-mail me at elasar.ma at gmail.com <mailto:elasar.ma at gmail.com>  for further information.

Best wishes,

Mia

   Mia Elasar, Ph.D
   Research fellow, The Leon Recanati Institute for Maritime Studies, University of Haifa.

   P.O.Box 77, Kfar Rosh Hanikra 22825, Israel
   Telefax: +972-4-9826861
   Mobile: +972-50-3225227