[MARMAM] New publication:

Grgur Pleslić grgur.pleslic at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 08:05:15 PDT 2020

Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are happy to announce the following publication in
Marine Mammal Science:

Pleslić G, Rako-Gospić N, Holcer D. Bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops
truncatus) in North Dalmatia, Croatia: Occurrence and demographic
parameters. Mar Mam Sci. 2020;1–20. https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12735

The common bottlenose dolphin (*Tursiops truncatus*) population along the
eastern Adriatic coast is believed to comprise discrete communities, yet
many of them are unstudied. This study provides first description of
occurrence and demographic parameters for the community inhabiting waters
of North Dalmatia. Dedicated boat-based surveys conducted in summer months
from 2013 to 2017 resulted in 13,896 km of research effort and 284 dolphin
sightings from which 336 individuals were identified. Site-fidelity
analysis revealed that 52.1% of encountered marked adults occur in the area
regularly or occasionally. No significant difference among years could be
found for mean group sizes (5.73 – 7.46) and group encounter rates (1.159 –
1.942 groups/100 km). Pollock’s Robust Design models estimated annually
variable adult apparent survival (0.737 – 0.986) and constant temporary
emigration rate of 0.172. The estimated abundance varied annually from 116
to 138 individuals and showed a negative slope, but a significant trend
could not be confirmed. Age-dependent models estimated first-year calf
survival at 0.875. These results provide a baseline for informed management
of two Sites of Community Importance, and a benchmark for future monitoring
in North Dalmatian waters, an area under significant anthropogenic pressure.

Feel free to contact me with requests for a pdf copy.

Best wishes,
Grgur Pleslić
Science Program Director
Blue World Institute of Marine Research and Conservation
Kaštel 24, 51551 Veli Lošinj, Croatia
www.blue-world.org
M: +385 98 976 0271