[MARMAM] New Publication: Postmortem Neuroimaging of Cetacean Brains Using Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging

Dr. KOT Brian Chin Wing briankot at cityu.edu.hk
Mon Oct 19 04:27:00 PDT 2020

Dear MARMAM Readers,

On behalf of the Aquatic Animal Virtopsy Lab (https://www.facebook.com/aquanimallab) in City University of Hong Kong, my colleagues and I are pleased to share our new paper "Postmortem Neuroimaging of Cetacean Brains Using Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging", in the Frontiers in Marine Science. The captioned paper is available here: https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2020.544037

Cite this paper:
Kot BCW, Tsui HCL, Chung TYT and Lau APY (2020) Postmortem Neuroimaging of Cetacean Brains Using Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Front. Mar. Sci. 7:544037. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2020.544037

Highlight:
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is superior to computed tomography (CT) in examining soft tissues, such as brain. Recently, we published a paper regarding this very important topic in the Frontiers in Marine Science. We are the first to conduct both postmortem MRI and CT examinations routinely on stranded cetacean brains, which help setting up the baseline criteria in cetacean neuroimaging for accurate postmortem radiological reporting. With more PMMRI datasets anticipated in the future, we hope these help gain a better insight into the health condition of cetacean brain, and reveal more secrets of the intelligence, language and large complex brains that many cetaceans possess.

I would like to extend my gratitude to readers of our work, as well as editors and reviewers for their contributions to this finished version. Happy reading :)

Warm regards,
Brian Kot

Ph.D. in Diagnostic Imaging, B.Sc. (Hons) in Radiography, Cert. (RPC), Cert. (Virtopsy)

Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences
Jockey Club College of Veterinary Medicine and Life Sciences
City University of Hong Kong
cum
Research Fellow
State Key Laboratory of Marine Pollution
City University of Hong Kong

E: briankot at cityu.edu.hk<mailto:briankot at cityu.edu.hk>, briankot at yahoo.co.uk<mailto:briankot at yahoo.co.uk>
W: https://www.cityu.edu.hk/jcc/staff/dr-brian-kot-chin-wing

Aquatic Animal Virtopsy Lab
Follow us at
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aquanimallab
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/aquanimallab

Disclaimer: This email (including any attachments) is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential information and/or copyright material. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email and all copies from your system. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other form of unauthorized dissemination of the contents is expressly prohibited.