[MARMAM] The Geometer: A new device for recording angles in visual surveys

Daniel Pike kinguq at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 05:33:29 PDT 2020

We are pleased to announce the publication of the following paper:

Hansen, R.G., Pike, D., Thorgilsson, B., Gunnlaugsson, T. & Lawson, J.
(2020). The Geometer: A New Device for Recording Angles in Visual Surveys.
NAMMCO Scientific Publications 11. https://doi.org/10.7557/3.5585

*Abstract:*

The Geometer is a new handheld USB device that facilitates a relatively
accurate measurement of the declination to a target with instantaneous
recording of this and other data. The Geometer offers several advantages
over traditional clinometers used in aerial surveys, including easier
target pinpointing and tracking, more consistent angle measurements, and
integration with software data collection packages. In this note we provide
technical specifications for the device and its associated software, and
describe a new aerial survey data collection programme that takes full
advantage of the features of the Geometer. We have tested this device
extensively during aerial surveys and highlight the utility of the hardware
as well as ways in which the technology could be improved.
Best regards,
Daniel Pike.