[MARMAM] Notice of Availability and Request for Comments - Draft Recovery Plan, Recovery Implementation Strategy, and Initiation of a 5-year Review for Endangered Main Hawaiian Islands False Killer Whale

Ann Garrett - NOAA Federal ann.garrett at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 15 13:51:27 PDT 2020

Aloha!

It is with great pleasure that I write to you today to share that NOAA
Fisheries’ has issued a notice of availability and request for comments on
our Draft Recovery Plan and Draft Recovery Implementation Strategy for the
main Hawaiian Islands insular false killer whale (MHI IFKW) distinct
population segment (DPS). We also issued a notice that we will be
initiating a 5-Year Review of the status of MHI IFKW and we are seeking
public input and any new information to help us determine if any change to
the species’ endangered status is warranted under the Endangered Species
Act (ESA).

While we invite comments on all aspects of the Draft Recovery Plan and
Draft Recovery Implementation Strategy, we are particularly interested in
comments on the proposed recovery objectives, criteria, and actions, as
well as comments on the cost of recovery actions and activities.

The public has 60 days to submit comments on the Draft Recovery Plan and
Draft Recovery Implementation Strategy, and submit information for the
5-year review. Comments may be submitted via the Federal Register’s
eRulemaking portal at:
*www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=NOAA-NMFS-2020-124*
<http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=NOAA-NMFS-2020-124>. Once the
comment period closes on December 15, 2020, we will take public comments
into consideration when finalizing the Recovery Plan and Recovery
Implementation Strategy, and in developing the 5-year review, as applicable.
Additionally, we are announcing the availability of the Recovery Status
Review for the MHI IFKW DPS, which, along with the Draft Recovery Plan and
Draft Recovery Implementation Strategy, can be found on our website at
www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/false-killer-whale#conservation-management.
The Recovery Status Review provides all the detailed information on the MHI
IFKWs’ biology, ecology, status and threats, and conservation efforts to
date, which have typically been included in the background section of a
species’ recovery plan.

*Ann M. Garrett*

*Assistant Regional Administrator*

*Protected Resources Division*

*Pacific Islands Regional Office*

NOAA Fisheries | U.S. Department of Commerce

Office: (808) 725-5130

Mobile: (808) 266-0735

www.fisheries.noaa.gov