[MARMAM] New Publication: Lipid metabolites as indicators of body condition in highly contaminant-exposed belugas from the endangered St. Lawrence Estuary population (Canada)

Alexandre Bernier-Graveline alexandre.bernier-graveline at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 15 13:09:55 PDT 2020

Dear Marman members,
On behalf of my colleagues, I am pleased to share with you our recent publication in Environmental Research: Bernier-Graveline, A., Lesage, V., Cabrol, J., Lair, S., Michaud, R., Rosabal, M., & Verreault, J. (2020). Lipid metabolites as indicators of body condition in highly contaminant-exposed belugas from the endangered St. Lawrence Estuary population (Canada). Environmental Research, 110272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2020.110272

Changes in the availability of food resources and exposure to organohalogen contaminants have been suggested as potential factors limiting the recovery of the endangered St. Lawrence Estuary beluga population. The objective of this study was to investigate the relationships between body condition and concentrations of organohalogens and a range of lipid metabolites in blubber samples collected from carcasses recovered between 1998 and 2016. Results suggest a decline in the energy reserves of this population over the past two decades, and that membrane lipids including phosphatidylcholine may be a good indicator of body condition and energy reserve status in blubber of marine mammals.

Our paper will be on free access until December 3 through this share link: https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1bvOJ3Ao5vMMF

Best regards,
Alexandre Bernier-Graveline
M.Sc. Université du Québec à Montréal