[MARMAM] Atlantic Marine Conservation Society Job Posting
volunteers at amseas.org
Wed Oct 14 12:03:34 PDT 2020
Full Time Position Available
The mission of the Atlantic Marine Conservation Society (AMSEAS) is to promote marine conservation through action. This is accomplished by sharing the decades of experience amassed by our team. An integral part of sharing these lessons is working with local communities, state, and federal agencies, to address the issues challenging our environment. AMSEAS has developed crucial partners in our communities, including Hallock State Park Preserve (HSPP) and other NYS Parks, to educate the public about marine mammal and sea turtle strandings. We lead activities designed to inspire the public to make positive impacts on the marine environment. We lead research projects to document wild populations of marine mammals and sea turtles and the threats they face.
As the Education Coordinator, your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Develop a consistent outreach schedule of events at our partner organization, Hallock State Park Preserve (HSPP) and Orient State Park.
• Lead Connect Kids to Parks programs with HSPP and Orient Beach State Park offered through AMSEAS.
• Work with HSPP staff to manage all educational opportunities at HSPP, including nature organization presentations, school field trips and community group visit requests.
• Develop educational materials related to parks, marine mammals and sea turtles for parks sharing the marine environment.
• Develop and implement a GPS-based virtual interpretive trail program at HSPP to allow patrons to take self-guided beach walks while learning about marine mammals, sea turtles, and good beach stewardship, in addition to accessing information about the flora and fauna experienced in the park
• Manage weekly beach cleanups for the public at HSPP and maintain trash collection database.
• Continue development of educational outreach programs to foster marine conservation such as seal walks, beach monitoring programs, new lecture topics
• Manage cold-stunned sea turtle patrol program at HSPP and other locations from October through December.
• Increase awareness of the New York State Parks and the mission of AMSEAS to promote marine conservation through action.
• Increase awareness of parks programs, training, volunteer opportunities and events.
• Secure beaches for clean ups (permits) and venues for training and lectures
• Maintain events calendar at amseas.org and maintain online calendar postings for all HSPP and organization events and share postings with NYS Parks for use.
• Identify and implement opportunities to expand AMCS activities and outreach to other coastal New York State parks.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Exceptional attention to detail and deadlines
• Excellent customer service skills and a willingness to learn; Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Accuracy and strong organizational skills are essential
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
• Familiarity with utilizing GPS technology and developing smartphone apps.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Ability to work in a high-pressure environment and balance competing demands and priorities
• Ability to take initiative to seek further knowledge and problem-solve
• Ability to integrate new technologies into programs
• Ability to foster positive relationships with a variety of stakeholders and community members
• Ability to work in a physical environment and able to lift and carry 50lbs short distances.
• Willingness to work weekends and nights as needed
Qualifications / Experience
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Education or related field
• A valid New York State Driver’s license and access to own transportation
• Background and/or experience in environmental education and natural sciences
• Coursework, background and/or experience in GPS and smartphone app development
• Ability to drive large vehicles and maintain a clean driving record
• Three to five years of Environmental Education experience highly recommended
This position will be based in Hampton Bays, Riverhead, Orient Point NY area with some travel to outreach programs required.
Please forward all application materials including a cover letter, resume and references to:
Research Coordinator/ Field Biologist
PO Box 932
Hampton Bays, NY 11946
adeperte at amseas.org * Preferred submission method*
Field Biologist & Volunteer Coordinator
Atlantic Marine Conservation Society
Email: volunteers at amseas.org
The information contained in this email message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipient named above. This message may be privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message and any attached documents in error, that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of the message and documents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by telephone or reply email and immediately delete it and any accompanying documents.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM