[MARMAM] New Publication in Marine Biodiversity on baleen whales off Juan Fernandez, Chile

Susannah Buchan sjbuchan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 07:15:40 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues,
We are pleased to share the publication of our new paper "Seasonal acoustic
presence of blue, fin, and minke whales off the Juan Fernández Archipelago,
Chile (2007–2016)", by Susannah Buchan, Naysa Balcazar-Cabrera and Kathleen
Stafford, in Marine Biodiversity.

The paper can be found at:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12526-020-01087-3 or by
request to sjbuchan at gmail.com.

Abstract: The southeast Pacific (SEP) contains the home ranges of several
migratory large whale species, determined largely based on research in
coastal waters. These whales’ pelagic seasonal residency is unknown. The
Juan Fernández Archipelago (JFA) is an offshore island in the SEP where
passive acoustic monitoring (PAM) data collection is ongoing at the HA03
hydroacoustic station (sample rate of 250 Hz) maintained by the Preparatory
Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization. Six years (2007–2009
and 2014–2016) of PAM data from HA03 were examined for the acoustic
presence of Antarctic, Chilean (southeast Pacific 1, southeast Pacific 2),
and southeast Indian Ocean blue whale song types; the fin whale 20-Hz song;
and minke whale vocalizations. The weekly presence or absence of these six
vocalization types was annotated manually by an expert analyst and then
averaged across all years. For each vocalization type, the number of weeks
per month with presence was averaged over all years. Consistently, we found
austral wintertime presence of Antarctic blue, fin, and minke whales; and
the year-round presence of Chilean blue whales. Southeast Indian Ocean blue
whales were also detected, but very rarely. We discuss the possible
seasonal movements of each species or acoustic group in the offshore SEP.
This is the first year-round multispecies study of baleen whales in the
offshore SEP and provides valuable information for understanding the
migrations of endangered baleen whales in this region, highlighting the
importance of offshore areas as hotspots for baleen whale biodiversity.

All the best,
Susannah

Email: sbuchan at udec.cl/sjbuchan at gmail.com