[MARMAM] New Publication: Age estimation and growth layer patterns in teeth of crabeater seals: A comparison of techniques

Julieta Cebuhar jucebuhar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:17:12 PDT 2020

Dear MARMAM colleagues,
I hope everyone is safe and healthy,
My co-authors and I are pleased to share with you of our recent paper which
has just been published on Marine Mammal Science

"Age estimation and growth layer patterns in teeth of crabeater seals: A
comparison of techniques" by Cebuhar J, Negrete J, Botta S.

Abstract:
Age estimation of marine mammals provides important information about
ecological and life-history parameters. Counting growth layer groups (GLGs)
in the dentine and cementum of teeth is the most common technique for age
estimation in pinnipeds. In this study, we used acid-etched canines (n =
38) and decalcified stained postcanine sections (n = 40) to calibrate
readings in mummified crabeater seals (Lobodon carcinophaga). A subsample
of this group received
a prior cleaning treatment of boiling the teeth with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).
Ages ranged from 0 to 31 years. Dentine from canines and cementum from
postcanines showed higher estimated ages (maximum 31 years) than dentine
from postcanines (maximum 24 years), mainly in those teeth that did not
receive prior treatment. Boiling with H2O2 has shown to affect cementum
structure and, thus, results in
underestimated ages, but dentine did not seem to be affected. The results
presented here showed that ages can be estimated for the crabeater seal
regardless of which tooth/tissue or method is used, at least for seals <13
years
old. However, nontreated, stained thin sections of postcanine teeth are
recommended because more reliable age estimations in older crabeater seals
are obtained.
Key-words: aging, etched canines, growth layer groups, Lobodon
carcinophaga, stained postcanines

The article is available via this link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/mms.12749
You can also email me if you have any inquires at jucebuhar at gmail.com

Thank you for your attention,