[MARMAM] New publication on odontocetes trophic ecology and habitat use

Genyffer Troina genyffertroina at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 13:38:52 PST 2020

Dear MARMAM Readers,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our recent
article in Marine Biology:

Troina, G.C., Botta, S., Dehairs, F., Di Tullio, J., Elskens, M., Secchi,
E.R. Skin δ13C and δ15N reveal spatial and temporal patterns of habitat and
resource use by free-ranging odontocetes from the southwestern Atlantic
Ocean. *Mar Biol* *167, *186 (2020).
https://doi.org/10.1007/s00227-020-03805-8

ABSTRACT: Large diversity and abundance of cetacean species occur along the
Brazilian outer continental shelf and slope waters. In the present study we
analysed carbon (δ13C) and nitrogen (δ15N) stable isotopes in skin biopsies
of ten odontocete species (Delphinidae and Physeteridae) to assess the
intra- and interspecific patterns in the use of resources along the region.
Our isotopic analysis allowed us to identify two potential subpopulations
of *Stenella frontalis*. High core isotopic niche overlap between *S.
frontalis* from the southern range of the study area and *Delphinus delphis*,
especially in spring, suggested that they share similar resources and rely
on spatiotemporal segregation to achieve niche differentiation and to
minimize competition. Our isotopic data also pointed to high similarity
among *Tursiops truncatus,* *S. frontalis *and* Globicephala melas* in the
use of resources.* Steno bredanensis had the highest *δ15N and δ13C, which
agrees with its occurrence in neritic waters. *S. longirostris* showed
consistently low δ15N values, indicating that they feed at relatively lower
trophic levels, and lack of niche overlap with most delphinid species,
except *S. attenuata*. *Orcinus orca* and *G. melas* had very similar δ13C
and δ15N values, that were consistent with feeding in offshore waters. δ13C
and δ15N in *Physeter macrocephalus* suggested that individuals feed on
similar trophic levels, but over a wide spatial range. The analyses of
stable isotopes in skin biopsies helped us refine our knowledge about the
intra-specific resource and habitat use, ecological niches and the trophic
interactions amongst co-occurring cetaceans from the oceanic waters of the
subtropical western South Atlantic.

The article can be accessed via the link https://rdcu.be/cbadj

Do not hesitate to contact me (genyffertroina at gmail.com) if you have any
comments or questions.