[MARMAM] New publication: Protected area evaluation for Amazon River dolphins (Vanessa Mintzer)

Mintzer,Vanessa J vjs at ufl.edu
Tue Nov 24 13:27:26 PST 2020

New publication: Protected area evaluation for Amazon River dolphins (Vanessa Mintzer)

Dear Colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our new paper in Biological Conservation: "Protected area evaluation for the conservation of endangered Amazon river dolphins (Inia geoffrensis)."

Citation: Mintzer, Vanessa J., Vera MF da Silva, Anthony R. Martin, Thomas K. Frazer, and Kai Lorenzen. "Protected area evaluation for the conservation of endangered Amazon river dolphins (Inia geoffrensis)." Biological Conservation 252 (2020): 108851.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2020.108851

Shareable full-text: https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1c4EX1R%7EeIUjd<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__authors.elsevier.com_a_1c4EX1R-257EeIUjd&d=DwMFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=pF9_Z8fdMzhuCpQHgILZuw&m=i3uH8XDfAdXa1eYxByjsGjnI3g6KmcarIi9ji2VFa8Y&s=Yqk7XTTaUZghsISx6EF-tZrjzOU6xDYv6ouRYgI3fFQ&e=>

ABSTRACT:
The potential value of protected areas for the conservation of cetaceans is widely recognized; however, few evaluation methods exist to assess their effectiveness. In this study, a modeling approach based on long-term mark-recapture/resight data was used to assess the effectiveness of a Brazilian reserve in protecting endangered Amazon River dolphins or boto (Inia geoffrensis), a species killed for use as fish bait. We built an annual discrete-time model with subdivisions based on hydrological periods and age classes. It included transition probabilities in and out of the reserve that were estimated utilizing multi-state mark-recapture models. To evaluate five reserve configurations, we re-estimated the transition probabilities to represent changes in the reserve boundaries. Model predictions showed that four scenarios, including one representing the existing boundaries, would be insufficient to protect the local boto population (no = 528) and a steep decline in abundance would occur in the next 50 years (0 ? n50 ? 108). However, one reserve configuration, encompassing both flooded forests and adjacent river habitats, and including beaches and channel/floodplain entrances, resulted in a nearly stable population in the same time frame (n50 = 515). These findings suggest that, with careful design and efficient management, protected areas could be an effective conservation tool for boto populations that exhibit site fidelity to Amazonian floodplains. With appropriate mark-recapture/resight data, the modeling framework employed could be extended to evaluate and design protected areas for populations of other species in other systems.

Please reach out to me at vjs at ufl.edu<mailto:vjs at ufl.edu> with any questions.

Thank you,

Vanessa J. Mintzer, Ph.D.

Wildlife Research Partnerships
vanessamintzer.com

Research Scientist
Galveston Bay Dolphin Research Program
Galveston Bay Foundation
vmintzer at galvbay.org

Courtesy Assistant Professor
Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences Program
School of Forest Resources and Conservation
University of Florida
vjs at ufl.edu
?