[MARMAM] New Publication Outlining New Foraging Behaviour by Mammal- Hunting Killer Whales in the Salish Sea

jmcinnes jmcinnes at uvic.ca
Sat Nov 14 14:18:04 PST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce that our new publication is
now available online:

McInnes, J.D., Buckmaster, J.N., Cullen, K.D., Mathieson, C.R., & Tawse,
J.P. 2020. Intentional Stranding by Mammal-Hunting Killer Whales
(_Orcinus orca_) in the Salish Sea. Aquatic Mammals, 46(6), 556-560.

The publication is available through the following link DOI:
https://doi.org/10.1578/AM.46.6.2020.556.

(transient) killer whales (Orcinus orca) intentionally stranding while
hunting harbour seals in the Salish Sea. This high risk form of foraging
behaviour has only been previously observed in Southern Hemisphere
populations. In addition, this form of foraging is highly risky and
dependent on prerequisite knowledge and specific beaches with cobble or
sand substrates. Our observations involve a family of six mammal-hunting
killer whales (in 2016) known as the T065As.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for details or questions.

Josh D. McInnes, BSc Biologist
Transient Killer Whale Research Project
Victoria BC, Canada
transientproject at gmail.com