[MARMAM] New Publication on the social role of vocal complexity

Elena Papale elena.papale at ias.cnr.it
Thu Nov 12 01:33:14 PST 2020

Dear colleagues,
On behalf of my co-authors, I’m happy to announce the publication in
Frontiers in Marine Science of the following article:
The Social Role of Vocal Complexity in Striped Dolphins. Papale E.,
Fanizza C., Buscaino G., Ceraulo M., Cipriano G., Crugliano R.,
Grammauta R., Gregorietti M., Renò V., Ricci P., Santacesaria F.C.,
Maglietta R. and Carlucci R.

Abstract:
Many gregarious species require complex patterns of communication for
maintaining coordinated behaviors, articulated social structure and
group cohesion. In mammal species, social complexity has been considered
the driving force for the development of advanced acoustic communication
systems. Striped dolphins are highly social, showing large group size
with females maintaining strong bonds with kin. Here, we tested the
hypothesis that more complex acoustic pattern plays a key role in social
activity in the striped dolphins. The production rate of clicks,
whistles and burst pulses, and the acoustic features of whistles have
been related to the activity context (feeding, traveling, resting, and
socializing). Furthermore, complex calls, consisting of a combination of
frequency-modulated, and/or pulsed components were detected. Higher
whistles and burst pulses production rates were recorded during
socializing. Also, the social activity can be discriminated basing on
the modulation of the whistle contour. Biphonic calls were especially
recorded during social interaction events, suggesting that these
phenomena can encode information about individual or group identity to
conspecifics. Outcomes indicate the pivotal role of vocal complexity
during social context and elicit further investigations of the
communication system of small odontocetes from local to wider spatial
scale.

The link can be found at
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2020.584301/full

Cheers,
Elena

___________________
Elena Papale, PhD
Institute for the Study of Anthropogenic Impacts
and Sustainability in the Marine Environment (IAS),
National Research Council,
Torretta Granitola (TP), Italy
and
Department of Life Science and Systems Biology
University of Torino, Torino, Italy

elena.papale at ias.cnr.it
elena.papale at cnr.it
elena.papale at unito.it