[MARMAM] Marine Animal Response Internship in Hawaii

elisabeth.bogle at h-mar.org elisabeth.bogle at h-mar.org
Sat Nov 7 22:08:41 PST 2020

 JOIN OUR FIELD RESPONSE TEAMon the beautiful island of Oahu in the State of Hawaii. We are accepting applications for interns for our Winter 2021 internship period. The deadline is December 5th, however, applications will be reviewed as they come in, and positions will be assigned as responses are received so apply soon. Here is more detail about this opportunity.

 ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION

 Hawaii Marine Animal Response (HMAR) is the field operations arm of Hawaii
 Marine Mammal Alliance Inc. and is the largest Hawaii-based non-profit
 marine species conservation and response organization. We cover nearly 300
 miles of coastline on the islands of Oahu and Molokai with our team of
 volunteers, interns and staff. We are a U.S. based 501(c)(3) nonprofit
 organization dedicated to the preservation, conservation and stewardship of
 Hawaii's protected marine species and our ocean ecosystem. We focus our
 work on marine species whose natural behaviors and habitat put animals in
 close proximity to and are therefore most affected by human impacts. These
 species include the endangered Hawaiian monk seal, the threatened green sea
 turtle, the endangered hawksbill sea turtle and several vulnerable seabird
 species. HMAR is supported by private donations, corporate funding and
 government grants and operates under partnerships with the National Oceanic
 and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,
 the State of Hawaii and others. More information about HMAR is available at
 http://h-mar.org.

 FIELD OUTREACH AND SUPPORT (FSO) TEAM INTERN DUTIES:

 -Responding to sightings of endangered or threatened marine species such
 as Hawaiian monk seals and sea turtles to provide shoreline response to
 haul-outs and strandings.

 -Perform or assist in field escalations, interventions, stranding support
 and rescues.

 -Report on animal behavior, provide animal assessment information, provide
 photo-documentation and other important data used in protected marine
 species research, health management and species recovery efforts.

 -Perform outreach to the public to teach sustainable human interaction and
 fishery behaviors and encourage stewardship of protected marine species and
 the ocean ecosystem.

 -Participate in dispatch and reporting activity such as the taking and
 documenting phone call reports of marine species activity, coordinating
 field response activity, data entry and generating reports.

 LOCATION: These positions require on-island travel throughout the island of
 Oahu in the State of Hawaii.

 FIELD SUPPORT AND OUTREACH (FSO) INTERN GENERAL REQUIREMENTS:

 -This is an un-paid internship that requires the intern to live on the
 island of Oahu in the State of Hawaii for the period beginning 2 weeks
 prior to the start of the internship until the end of the internship. The
 intern is responsible for all lodging, living and transportation costs
 associated with the internship.

 -U.S. citizenship or possession of a passport and all applicable visas and
 work permits are needed prior to and during the internship period.

 -18 or more years of age.

 -English language fluency.

 -Must be a degree-seeking student or a graduate of a college or university
 program associated with one of the following courses of study: marine
 biology, marine ecology, conservation, environmental science or a related
 field.

 -Minimum grade point average (GPA). For college/university graduates, a
 2.7 cumulative GPA prior to the internship. For current students, a 2.7
 cumulative GPA prior to and during the internship.

 -If college credit for this internship is desired it is the responsibility
 of the intern to obtain necessary approvals from the applicable college or
 university.

 -Ability to walk in sandy, rocky and unstable shoreline conditions for 2
 miles.

 - Ability to work outdoors in a sunny, rainy, windy and hot climate.

 -Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 75 pounds for 100 feet in
 shoreline beach and rocky conditions.

 -Ability to swim required.

 -Ability to maintain a calm demeanor in potentially stressful conditions.

 -Possess a team-based work ethic and attitude.

 -Acceptance of our Intern Policies, Waivers, Releases and Indemnifications
 agreement.

 -Attend mandatory in-field or classroom training sessions as required.

 - Possess an interest in and a desire to engage with the public.

 - Must have access to a reliable car or truck (truck preferred) during the
 internship period. Motorcycles or scooters will not be sufficient.

 -Possession of a valid driver's license.

 -Proof of automobile insurance carrying Hawaii minimum liability coverage
 levels.

 -Access to a cellular phone with 4G data service and camera.

 -Access to a digital camera (not a smartphone) with at least a 35X zoom lens and
 Wi-Fi capability. If it does not have wifi capability, you can buy an adapter.

 FIELD SUPPORT AND OUTREACH INTERNSHIP ACTIVITY EXPECTATIONS:

 - Internship term: Minimum of 3 months (may be extended for up to 1 year
 upon mutual agreement). Start date for 3-month minimum internship is
 somewhat flexible, but must be between January 1st and April 30th,
 2021. Interns must be on Oahu, settled, and ready to begin training at least
 2 weeks prior to the internship start date.

 -Hours per week: 22 hours minimum, however, due to the unpredictable nature
 of marine animal response, the intern may sometimes be required to work
 beyond, or outside of, their normal scheduled hours. Work hours flexibility
 is required. Travel time to and from training and field response locations
 is not included in these minimum hours. The intern must be able and willing
 to work flexible hours including weekends and holidays.

 -The intern must be available for response anywhere on the Island of Oahu
 in the State of Hawaii.

 FIELD SUPPORT AND OUTREACH INTERNSHIP DEADLINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS:

 The deadline for Winter 2021 internships is December 5th, 2020, however, applications will be reviewed as they come in and internship positions will be assigned as they are received so apply soon. To apply, please go to http://h-mar.org/apply and complete the online application. IN ADDITION to completion of the online application, please submit the following information via email toelisabeth.bogle at h-mar.org

   A cover letter of interest, maximum of 1 page, including your dates of

 availability.

  Confirmation that you have, or will have, access to a reliable car or

 truck during the internship period (truck preferred).

   A resume describing your training, experience, relevant skills, and GPA

 (maximum of 2 pages).

   Names and contact information for three references.

 Your application cannot be considered unless both the online application
 and the required documents listed above are received. We look forward to
 receiving your application and thank you for your interest in Hawaii Marine
 Animal Response (HMAR).

Elisabeth Pendergrass Bogle (She/Her)
Field Support & Outreach Lead
Internship Manager