[MARMAM] Flipper bones osteometric data

Youri van den Hurk yourivandenhurk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 13:20:05 PST 2020

Dear all,

As part of my research I am trying to create an osteometric database that
contains a number of measurements on the scapula, humerus, radius and ulna,
as well as the mandibles, atlas and axis. I intend to create a database
accessible to all that will allow one to perform measurements on specimens
one is dealing with themselves and then compare those with the database.
This will hopefully lead to a low cost species identification of
osteological remains. I myself am a zooarchaeologist and this is one of the
main issues we face in the field in that we often lack possibilities to
reach species identification and by extension have limited knowledge of
past cetacean hunting practices.

I have already been able to compile quite a bit of data and performed even
more measurements myself, but any other data on ANY cetacean species would
be greatly appreciated. If any of you know publications that provide
osteometric data, could you please let me know? I'm especially interested
in the larger species, as well as some of the more rare species (Clymene
dolphin, melon headed whale, pygmy killer whale etc.) as my sample size for
those is limited at the moment.

Thank you all in advance.

Best regards,
Dr Youri van den Hurk