[MARMAM] New publication-Isotope-based inferences of the seasonal foraging and migratory strategies of blue whales in the eastern Pacific Ocean

Geraldine Busquets geraldine.busquets at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 08:52:44 PST 2020

Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are excited to share with you our recent publication:
Isotope-based inferences of the seasonal foraging and migratory strategies
of blue whales in the eastern Pacific Ocean.

Here is the link to the article:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0141113620303597

DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2020.105201

Abstract:

Migratory marine megafauna generally move vast distances between productive
foraging grounds and environmentally stable breeding grounds, but
characterizing how they use these habitats to maintain homeostasis and
reproduce is difficult. We used isotope analysis of blue whale skin strata (
*n = 621*) and potential prey (*n = 300*) to examine their migratory and
foraging strategies in the eastern Pacific Ocean. Our results suggest that
most whales in the northeast Pacific use a mixed income and capital
breeding strategy, and use the California Current Ecosystem as their
primary summer-fall foraging ground. A subset of individuals exhibited
migratory plasticity and spend most of the year in the Gulf of California
or Costa Rica Dome, two regions believed to be their primary winter-spring
breeding grounds. Isotope data also revealed that whales in the southern
Eastern Tropical Pacific generally do not forage in the northeast Pacific,
which suggests a north-south population structure with a boundary near the
equator.

Thank you,

Geraldine Busquets-Vass and co-authors

Postdoctoral Researcher

Department of Biology

University of New Mexico

--

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*Geraldine Rosalie Busquets-Vass     *

*Postdoctoral Researcher *

Department of Biology

University of New Mexico

Biology Deparment
Albuquerque, NM USA 87131

*Affiliated Researcher*
Laboratory of Marine Macroecology
Center for Scientific Research and Higher Education at Ensenada, La Paz
Unit (CICESE-ULP)
La Paz, BCS, MEX 23050
*Phone: *+5216121536231
*e-mails:* busquets at unm.edu