[MARMAM] New Publication: Southern right whale gunshot sounds in the southeastern Atlantic Ocean

Fannie Shabangu fannie.shabangu at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 02:12:20 PST 2020

Dear MARMAM Colleagues
My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our new paper published as a note in Marine Mammal Science.

Shabangu FW, Andrew RK, Findlay K. 2020. Acoustic occurrence, diel-vocalizing pattern, and detection ranges of southern right whale gunshot sounds off South Africa's west coast. Mar Mam Sci. 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12760

Lay abstract

We used passive acoustic monitoring to study southern right whales, a species of recent high concern in South African waters. Gunshot sounds of southern right whales were heard sporadically throughout the year, with the majority of sounds heard in spring. Whales vocalized more at dusk and night to maintain acoustic communication with conspecific when visibility was limited underwater. Model predictions suggest that vocalizing whales could be as far as 80 km from the acoustic recorder. Low detections of gunshot sounds of southern right whales corresponded with the recent decline in whale counts from annual aerial survey in this region.

The the paper can be viewed and downloaded at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/share/author/PUXRUGHSCTFXZTJ8RRHC?target=10.1111/mms.12760, or you can email me for a PDF copy.
Kind regards,
Fannie

Fannie W. Shabangu, PhD
Marine Biologist
Fisheries Management Branch
Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries
Cape Town, South Africa
Email: FannieS at daff.gov.za; fannie.shabangu at yahoo.com Mobile: +27 74 220 0210
Tel: +27 21 402 3553