[MARMAM] Placements for Januari 2021 at DMAD

Selina Brouwer selina at dmad.org.tr
Mon Nov 2 03:30:13 PST 2020

Dear all,

Please find below details of our placements for the Winter Vacancies at our
Montenegro Dolphin Research project.

WHO ARE DMAD AND WHAT DO WE DO?

DMAD - Marine Mammals Research Association has scientific projects running
in Turkey, Montenegro and Albania. We conduct long-term studies of marine
mammals in Istanbul, Antalya, the Levantine Sea, Montenegrin coastal waters
and the northern coastline of Albania.  We aim to address questions about
marine mammal abundance, distribution and behaviour, define critical
habitats and investigate the impact of major threats, ranging from tourism
to hydrocarbon exploration.

Our wider attention focuses on the promotion and implementation of
awareness initiatives targeted at the local community.

More details on the project can be found here:
http://www.dmad.org.tr/montenegro-dolphin-research

WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR

We offer several volunteering and internship positions: this is a valuable
opportunity for graduates that wish to gain experience in the marine mammal
research field, and undergraduates, that would like to obtain internship
academic credits.

It could be used to develop a scientific project for BSc and MSc thesis.
However, we are also open to accept applications from anyone whose passion
for marine mammals is strong and sincere.

This opportunity is available from January 2021. The minimum duration of
the placement is 2 MONTHS, with possible exception for a skilled candidate.

REQUIREMENTS

-True interest for marine conservation, self-motivation, maturity and
ability to work responsibly;

-Ability to cohabit in a dynamic and multicultural environment;

-Respect for the organisation's rules and willingness to follow standards
and procedures;

-Proven experience of working effectively as part of a team;

-Fluent English (both spoken and written) and good communication skills;

-Willingness to learn new software applications.

-Background in marine biology and previous fieldwork experience are an
advantage.

FIELD WORK AND RESPONSIBILITIES

-Performing land-based surveys at least three times a week, including
sunrise and sunset hours;

-Performing boat-based surveys once a fortnight (occasionally more if
possible).

-Collecting dolphins sighting and behavioural data, as well as
environmental and anthropogenic data;

-Operating theodolite and managing its software Pythagoras;

-Data entry and analysis;

-Cataloguing and matching individuals of target species for photo-ID
studies via Discovery software;

-Raising stakeholder awareness through conservation actions.

-Promoting citizen-science activities

TRAINING

The Montenegro Dolphin Research team provides lectures and field work
training as well as constant mentoring. You will be given the chance to
learn the most popular methodologies used in marine mammal research
including:

-GIS mapping

-Theodolite operation and Pythagoras software;

-Photo-identification;

-Discovery, Darwin and Logger 2010 software;

-Systematic data collection and data analysis;

PROJECT CONTRIBUTION

The contribution fee for volunteers is €840 per month. For a timeframe
longer than 2 months the fee is €780. For interns, it’s €940 per month. For
a timeframe longer than 2 months the fee is €880. All of which goes
directly to supporting the projects.

The fee *includes*:
 Accommodation and expenses (excluding self-quarantine and special
requests);
 Transportation between the project sites within and between Montenegro
and Albania;
 Training and lectures with all training materials provided in PDF format;
 Fieldwork (land- and boat surveys);
 Use of the equipment;
And for *Interns* this also *includes*:
 Scientific support, average 30 hours supervision per month;
 Additional courses related to the selected subject;
The fee does *not include*:
 Transportation to/from Montenegro or transfer to accommodation
 Health and/or travel insurance which is a mandatory requirement
 Meals
 Additional training Courses:
o Marine Mammal Observer & Passive Acoustic Monitoring, Certificated by
ACCOBAMS (€450)
o Acoustics using PamGuard (2 days) (€100)

HOW TO APPLY

Email your CV and cover letter to info at dmad.org.tr, explaining why you are
a suitable asset for our team and which goals you hope to achieve with us!

If you wish to have more info about our internships and work please take a
look at some of our web pages and social media:

Our research: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-projects

Our internships: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-internships

Our publications: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-publications

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marinemammalsresearch/