[MARMAM] Good news from the Glacier Bay, Alaska Humpback Whale Monitoring Program

Neilson, Janet L Janet_Neilson at nps.gov
Thu May 21 17:36:29 PDT 2020

A report summarizing humpback whale monitoring results from Glacier Bay and Icy Strait, Alaska in 2019 is now available.

Following a five-year period (2014-2018) of dramatic decline in humpback whale abundance, we documented two calves and an encouraging uptick in whale numbers in 2019. Foraging conditions last summer appeared to be good, and we saw the return of several reproductive females who had not been sighted in recent years.

Read our short Resource Brief for summer 2019 here:
https://irma.nps.gov/DataStore/DownloadFile/640111

Read a Currents blog post about the 2019 results, plus our preliminary 2020 observations here:
https://www.nps.gov/glba/blogs/good-news-from-the-humpback-whale-monitoring-program.htm

--
Janet Neilson
Humpback Whale Monitoring Program