[MARMAM] New publication: The use of passive acoustic monitoring as a census tool of gray whale migration

burnhamr burnhamr at uvic.ca
Tue Mar 24 14:49:02 PDT 2020

My co-author and I are pleased to announce the recent publication of the
latest in a series of papers on the acoustic life of gray whales in
Ocean and Coastal Management

THE USE OF PASSIVE ACOUSTIC MONITORING AS A CENSUS TOOL OF GRAY WHALE
(_ESCHRICHTIUS ROBUSTUS_) MIGRATION

Passive acoustic monitoring adds to knowledge of whale presence and
distribution over space and time. The gray whale (_Eschrictius
robustus_) undertakes an annual migration between remote feeding and
breeding locales, with its highly sonorous nature suggesting employment
of low-frequency calls to be inherent to travel behaviours, perhaps
aiding navigation and social cohesion. We consider whether these calling
behaviours can be used to better understand the process of migration,
where call presence and relative abundance might represent a means to
track the progress of migrating whales. Passive acoustic recordings made
on the west coast of Vancouver Island, a mid-way point of gray whale
migration, were first analysed for abundance over time to examine the
progression of migration. Then the acoustic record was compared to
shore-based recordings undertaken from Point Vincente, California to
better assess their use as a census tool. The timing in peaks of
calling, particularly of far-ranging moan-like calls, and shore counts
showed a high degree of congruence when considered with a lag time of 8
days to account for travel time between the two survey locations. This
suggests that passive acoustic monitoring could complement the long
running and shore-based counts in recording annual population movement,
and add to our understanding of gray whales on poorly known segments of
their migration route or at times when visual observations are not
possible.

The paper is available here:

Burnham, R.E, Duffus, D.A. 2020. The use of passive acoustics as a
census tool of gray whale (Eschrichtius robustus) migration. Ocean and
Coastal Management, 118: 105070

https://reader.elsevier.com/reader/sd/pii/S0964569119309391?token=4A15584C9D58A5B3E75F53BB43F5847BC70DBC311884EDAB8A08C05D98440019BD37DB9EAA607D76AC44D12555A272CF
[1]

Or email me for a PDF