[MARMAM] New publication: Harbor Porpoises (Phocoena phocoena vomerina) Catching and Handling Large Fish on the U.S. West Coast

cindy Elliser cindy.elliser at pacmam.org
Fri Mar 13 12:45:35 PDT 2020

Dear Marmam,

My colleagues and I are pleased to announce the publication of our short
note in Aquatic Mammals:

Harbor Porpoises (Phocoena phocoena vomerina) Catching and Handling Large
Fish on the U.S. West Coast

Elliser, C.R., Hessing, S., MacIver, K.H., Webber, M.A., Keener, W. 2020.
Short Note: Harbor Porpoises (Phocoena phocoena vomerina) Catching and
Handling Large Fish on the U.S. West Coast. Aquatic Mammals 46(2), 191-199.
DOI 10.1578/AM.46.2.2020.191

Summary

This short note documents the catching and handling of American Shad (Alosa
sapidissima) and salmon sp. (including coho (Oncorhynchus kisutch) and pink
(Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) salmon) by harbor porpoises along the U.S. West
Coast including the Salish Sea (inland waters of Washington State and
Canada), San Francisco Bay, California and Cook Inlet Alaska.  These species
have not previously been reported as prey for harbor porpoises in this
region, and are larger in length and mass than the majority of prey species
known to be consumed by harbor porpoises.  This note provides unique
insights into previously undocumented harbor porpoise behavior and diet.
Wild harbor porpoise behavior remains poorly understood, and reports such as
this are important to improve our knowledge of this difficult to observe
species and highlight the need for further research and monitoring to fully
understand their behavioral repertoire and ecological relationships.

The article can be found at:
https://www.aquaticmammalsjournal.org/index.php?option=com_content
<https://www.aquaticmammalsjournal.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=art
icle&id=2003:harbor-porpoises-phocoena-phocoena-vomerina-catching-and-handli
ng-large-fish-on-the-u-s-west-coast&catid=186&Itemid=326>
&view=article&id=2003:harbor-porpoises-phocoena-phocoena-vomerina-catching-a
nd-handling-large-fish-on-the-u-s-west-coast&catid=186&Itemid=326

Please feel free to contact me with any questions at
cindy.elliser at pacmam.org!

Best,

Cindy R. Elliser, PhD

Research Director