[MARMAM] New Publication: "Short-term effects of whale watching boats on the movement patterns of southern right whales in Península Valdés, Patagonia, Argentina"

ailen chalcobsky ailenchalco at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 12 12:29:55 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, Enrique A. Crespo and Mariano A. Coscarella,  and I, we're pleased to announce the publication of our paper: “Short-term effects of whale watching boats on the movement patterns of southern right whales in Península Valdés, Patagonia, Argentina”.

Abstract:
Whale watching in Patagonia began in 1973, with the southern right whale (Eubalaena australis) as a target. Thus far, only short-term effects of whale watching on behaviour have been evaluated. The southern right whale population is increasing locally and expanding to adjacent areas. We evaluated boat effects on the biological system through the analysis of breathing rate, linearity, reorientation rate and total distance travelled. Short-term movement patterns of SRW in the area are not severely affected by whale watching operations in Puerto Pirámide at this level of activity. However, significant changes in breathing rates in the presence of boats deserve further attention considering that whales return the same location. In light of the present work, the whales that breed at Península Valdés may be tolerant to whale watching boats.

The paper is available to read or download at:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2020.104927

If you have any questions or would like a copy please do not hesitate to contact me via email at ailenchalco at cenpat-conicet.gob.ar

Kind regards,

Ailen