[MARMAM] A.I.S. Inc. Seeking Passive Acoustic Monitoring Specialist
kathrynr at aisobservers.com
Thu Mar 12 07:52:48 PDT 2020
A.I.S. Inc. Seeking Passive Acoustic Monitoring Specialist
AIS is looking for a highly skilled Passive Acoustic Monitor to serve as the lead offshore specialist on a high profile project which will focus on pile driving for two offshore wind turbines. AIS is searching for someone with expert level experience deploying towed arrays, troubleshooting PAM equipment, and using PAM Guard. This is a temporary role.
The Passive Acoustic Monitoring Specialist's primary responsibility is to acoustically monitor for the presence of marine mammals during activities that have the potential to cause injury to these species through the introduction of added sound levels to the environment. This deployment is anticipated to last several weeks. It will require the PAM Specialist to travel to New York and deploy aboard a monitoring vessel for the duration of the expected work. During this project, the PAM Specialist is responsible for listening and maintaining a constant watch for marine mammals using passive acoustic monitoring equipment and software. The individual selected for this position will function as an expert in the field. Any detections of marine mammals are documented on project specific logs. Project activity, times, location, and environmental conditions are also documented. The PAM Specialist is responsible for notifying the appropriate personnel if protected species are detected approaching or within harmful range of sound producing equipment and calling for mitigation measures outlined in the project specific planning documents.
Summary of essential Job Functions:
* Identify marine animals using passive acoustic monitoring equipment and software
* Ability to vigilantly monitor for acoustic detections of marine mammals around observation platform/vessel for up to 4 hours at a time and not more than 12 hours in a 24 hour period.
* Ability to identify and troubleshoot any issues that may arise during a towed PAM deployment.
* Expert knowledge of towed PAM deployment and PAMGuard software functionalities
* Ability to follow protocol requirements and accurately record data
* Ability to make decisions on own given general guidelines
* Record accurate data in difficult sea and weather conditions
* Must be authorized to work in the US.
* Must be approved by the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) as an ESO/PSO
* Must provide a copy of PAM Operator training certificate obtained from a recognized PAM trainer
* Must provide a copy of PSO training certificate obtained from NMFS/BOEM compliant course/training
* Must not be affiliated with any group that may impair the objectivity or the appearance of objectivity
* Willing and able to travel to local ports and ports in other states
* Willing and able to leave on trips with short notice (e.g., 24hr notice for multiday trip)
* Able to work weekends and holidays
* Must provide a copy of offshore safety training (BOSIET or equivalent)
* Must be certified by a physician as fit for sea duty including :
o Not be susceptible to chronic motion sickness
o Ability to live in confined quarters
o Ability to tolerate stress
o Ability to lift objects up to 30 pounds
o Ability to vigilantly monitor waters surrounding observation platform/vessel for up to 4 hours at a time and not more than 12 hours in a 24 hour period.
o Climb and descend steep ladders at docks
o Cross over from boat to boat at docks while carrying gear
o Swim 100 meters
Please visit https://aisobservers.com/careers/ to apply.
If you have any questions, contact Kathryn Roy, the Protected Species Program Manager at kathrynr at aisobservers.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the MARMAM