[MARMAM] Steno bredanensis Article

Liliane Lodi lilianelodi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:23:09 PST 2020

Hi everyone!

My colleague Guilherme Maricato and I would like to announce our new paper
about rough-toothed dolphin (Steno bredanensis) off the coast of Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil:

Lodi L, Maricato G (2020). Rough-toothed dolphins (Cetartiodactyla:
Delphinidae) habitat use in coastal urban waters of the South-western
Atlantic. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom
1-9.

https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315420000132

Abstract:

Rough-toothed dolphins (Steno bredanensis) are regularly present in
continental shelf areas of the South-western Atlantic. However, there is
little information on the natural history and ecology of these delphinids.
This study evaluated the occurrence, habitat use and individual movements of
the species in coastal waters off Rio de Janeiro, South-eastern Brazil. Data
were obtained from boat surveys between August 2011 and May 2018, during
which rough-toothed dolphins were sighted in 21 distinct events,
predominantly in autumn and winter. The mean group size was 29 individuals.
Rough-toothed dolphins were usually recorded 130 to 2300m from the coast,
between 7.6 and 28m depths. In total, 115 individuals were catalogued
through dorsal fin marks and 61 (53%) were resighted between one (47.5%) and
four (9.8%) occasions. The interval between resightings ranged from seven to
2087 days (mean = 268). Agglomerative hierarchical clustering indicated 30
individuals (49.2%) in low degree, 12 (19.7%) in medium degree and 19
(31.1%) in high degree of site fidelity. Dolphins showed a higher frequency
of low degree of habitat use, despite the presence of multiyear recaptures,
which may be related to the prevalence of dolphin occurrence in autumn and
winter, a large home range and/or the abundance and distribution of food
resources. Dedicated surveys and regional collaboration are needed to
evaluate the home range and population status of this species for their
effective conservation. Our findings enhanced knowledge of this little
studied species facing increasing anthropogenic threats in coastal waters
off Rio de Janeiro.

Author for correspondence:  <mailto:lilianelodi at gmail.com>
lilianelodi at gmail.com