[MARMAM] New paper: Binning-based inter-click interval data from free-ranging harbour porpoises

Dr. Laura Williamson lw at osc.co.uk
Tue Jun 30 08:47:48 PDT 2020

On behalf of my colleagues, I am please to announce publication of the following paper:

Ruffert, M., Todd, V.L.G., and Todd, I.B. (2020): Presentation of binning-based inter-click interval data from passive acoustic monitoring of free-ranging harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena). The International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration 25, 209-218.

ABSTRACT: C-PODs are used for Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM) of harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) at an offshore open sea location in the German North Sea. Diel patterns of echolocation click trains are extracted from minimum inter-click interval (minICI) data by binning. The aim of this study is to reassess and refine minICI ranges of click train data with particular consideration to the binning widths. Emphasis is also placed on choosing an appropriate visualisation of these binned data. Key ecological results include presence of higher train rates during the day with intermediate minICI values defined by the range 6-28 ms and a higher train rate with short minICI values 1.25-2.00 ms at night. This indicates an increase in porpoise feeding behaviour, or change of style, at night. Click trains with long minICI values > 35 ms occur at an equal rate throughout both diel phases, suggesting a more routine behaviour, such as navigation. Results could be revealed only by judicious choice of binning widths, e.g. previously overlooked patterns within historical echolocation data. The classification methodology can be used to analyse echolocation trains from a variety of species and can be applied to any PAM data with the relevant click parameters.

The manuscript can be downloaded free from: https://iiav.org/ijav/content/volumes/25_2020_36521584896523/vol_2/1583_fullpaper_1785791593513022.pdf

Best wishes,
Laura

--
Dr. Laura Williamson
Senior Analyst
We wrote the book. Now available on Amazon:
www.marinemammalobserverhandbook.com