[MARMAM] New publication on aortic arch of Antillean manatee

Fernanda Löffler Niemeyer Attademo niemeyerattademo at yahoo.com.br
Fri Jun 26 05:11:23 PDT 2020

DearMARMAM-Users,

Dr Oliveira and I,together with our team, are happy to share our recently published article onaortic manatee bow with you.

"Angioarchitectureof collateral arteries of the aortic arch of Antillean manatee (Trichechusmanatus manatus Linnaeus, 1758)"

Abstract: The aortic arrangement is an important structureassociated with the maintenance of homeostasis. Based on this information, thisstudy was conducted to describe the collateral arteries of the aortic arch ofAntillean manatee and define the standard model for the species. Threespecimens, an adult male, adult female and a male neonate, all strandings onthe coast of the state of Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil, were used. The study wasperformed in the Laboratory of Morphophysiology of Vertebrates of the FederalUniversity of Rio Grande do Norte, where in situ photographs were taken todemonstrate their topography. Subsequently, their hearts were removed and fixedin 10% formaldehyde and after 72 hr were dissected and analysed, obtainingschematic drawings and photographs of the vascular arrangement. The aortic archwas represented by three collateral arteries identified as the brachiocephalictrunk, left common carotid artery and left subclavian artery. This arrangementwas similar to that found for other sirenians, and yet, for other mammals likehooded seal, murine, margarita island capuchin, black‐handed tamarin, Mongoliangerbil and human. The morphological similarity presented in this study with differentspecies of mammals, including humans, may contribute valuable information froman evolutionary point of view.

 Link: https://doi.org/10.1111/ahe.12477