[MARMAM] New Online Training Course: An Introduction to Basic Statsistics for Biologists using R - 6th to 9th July 2020

cdmacleod at gisinecology.com cdmacleod at gisinecology.com
Fri Jun 19 03:58:48 PDT 2020

Before we start our summer series of GIS courses, _GIS In Ecology_ will
be running a new instructor-led online course based around our latest
book, A_n Introduction to Basic Statistics for Biologists using R_.

In the last decadde, R has become the software package for analysing all
types of biological data, including data collected from marine mammals.
As a result, knowing how to use R can now be considered a key skill for
almost all marine mammalogists. However, many people (especially those
who primarily work in non-academic environments) struggle to learn R,
leaving them unable to make the most of its powerful data processing and
analytical capabilities to the detriment of their own research and the
field of marine mammalogiy as a whole.

This course will be held over Zoom video-conferencing and will provide
all the practical knowledge and experience you need to get started with
analysing biological data using R. As a result, no previous experience
with R or statistical analysis is required to do this course. It uses a
user-friendly approach based around task-oriented learning (which will
be familiar to those who have previously done our GIS courses or used
our books), meaning that it can help you quickly and easily get to grips
with using R for data processing, creating graphs, and statistical
analysis of biological data in a short space of time, even if you have
never used R before, or have tried before and have found yourself
struggling to use it successfully.

It will run from the 6th to the 9th of July 2020, with one session being
held each day between 14:00 and 17:00 British Summer Time (we are based
in Scotland so this is the time zone we operate in). This allows
participants from as wide a range of time zones to participate in the
course. However, if these times are not suitable for you, please let us
know as we may be able to provide the same sessions at other times of
day, depending on demand.

Attendance will be limited to a maximum of 19 people. The fees for this
course are GBP 250 per person (with a discounted rate of GBP 195 for
students, the unwaged and those working for registered charities).

To book a place, or for more information, you can either visit
http://gisinecology.com/stats-for-biologists-1/live-online-course-an-introduction-to-basic-statistics-for-biologists-using-r/
or email us at info at GISinEcology.com.

About the Course:

This is a practical course and it is aimed at anyone who wishes to learn
how to carry out basic data processing and statistical analyses on
biological data using R. This includes importing data sets into R,
error-checking and processing them to prepare them for analysis,
calculating basic summary statistics, creating graphs, assessing and
transforming their distributions, and running statistical tests such as
Shapiro-Wilk tests, t-tests, Mann-Whitney U tests, paired t-tests,
Wilcoxon Matched Pairs tests, F-tests for equality of variance, Levene's
tests, ANOVAs, Kruskal-Walis tests, chi-squared tests, correlations and
linear regressions. It will also cover how to use R, how to work out how
to do things for yourself in R and how to create annotated R script
archives of what you have done.

Each session will consist of a series of background talk covering
specific topics (more details are provided below), followed by related
practical exercises based on instructions from _An Introduction to Basic
Statistics for Biologists using R_. As a result, all participants will
receive a free copy of this book shipped to their address in advance of
the start of the course. While you are encouraged to remain online
during the practical sessions, you can choose to go off-line as you work
though the exercises (or if you need to take a break). However, if you
have any questions, the course instructor will be available throughout
the course for you to ask any questions you wish at any point.

This course will be hosted by Dr Colin D MacLeod, one of the authors of
An Introduction to Basic Statistics for Biologists using R. Dr MacLeod
has been working in biological research for more than 25 years. He is
the author of over 50 peer-reviewed publications and a series of books
written to help biologists learn practical skills, such as statistics
and GIS.

At the end of the course, all attendees will receive a certificate of
attendance and completion. Each certificate is embossed with the GIS In
Ecology official stamp to prevent its fraudulent reproduction. In
addition, each certificate has its own unique identification number that
we will record, along with your name, meaning that we can verify the
authenticity of the certificates we issue (and the course you have
completed) on request.

THIS COURSE WILL COVER:

1. An introduction to R and Rstudio (and, if required, this will include
help with installing these software packages).

2. What you need to know to get started with using R.

3. What to do if you get stuck with using R for data processing and
statistical analysis.

4. How to import data into R and prepare it for analysis.

5. How to create graphs from biological data in R.

6. How to assess and transform the distribution of biological data.

7. How to compare data from different groups with statistical analysis.

8. How to use correlations and regressions to biological data.

9. How to work out how to do things in R.

10. How to create an annotated R code archive so you have a record of
what you have done.
GIS IN ECOLOGY - Providing Training, Advice And Consultancy On The Use
Of GIS In Ecology

Web: www.GISinEcology.com [1] Email: info at GISinEcology.com

Need to ask a question about using GIS? Try the GIS In Ecology Forum:
www.GISinEcology.com/GIS_in_Ecology_forum.htm [2]

Books From GIS In Ecology Staff:

GIS For Biologists: A Practical Introduction For Undergraduates; RRP:
£24.99
An Introduction To Integrating QGIS And R For Spatial Analysis; RRP:
£19.99
An Introduction To Species Distribution Modelling (SDM) Using QGIS And
R; RRP: £19:99

If you wish to purchase these books, visit:
http://www.gisinecology.com/book-shop/

To help the environment, please do not print out this email unless it is
unavoidable.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.GISinEcology.com