[MARMAM] New paper on the relative suitability of cetacean habitat in the northern Savu Sea (Indonesia)

Putu Mustika putu.liza at my.jcu.edu.au
Mon Jul 20 17:46:38 PDT 2020

Dear all,

With gratitude, we announce the following paper as being published in Marine Mammal Science as “Early View”:

“Maximum entropy model: estimating the relative suitability of cetacean habitat in the northern Savu Sea, Indonesia”

The published article is accessible via this link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/mms.12719 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/mms.12719>

ABSTRACT

An understanding of cetacean distribution is necessary to gain insights into crucial ecological processes for species conservation management. However, cetacean habitat preference and distribution in the northern Savu Sea, Indonesia are still poorly understood. We use maximum entropy modelling with five environmental predictors to describe habitat preference and distribution of seven cetacean species in the northern Savu Sea. Our study confirms that static predictors are the most important variables in explaining habitat preferences of seven cetacean species in the northern Savu Sea. Seasonally, each cetacean species has a different environmental preference. Globicephala macrorhynchus prefers the open nearshore areas adjacent to deep waters. Stenella attenuata is associated with nearshore habitats and higher productivity areas. Stenella longirostris prefers nearshore habitat during coastal upwelling events. Tursiops truncatus prefers nearshore sheltered habitat. Grampus griseus habitats are highly related to depth and steep gradients around the isobaths of 200-1,000 m. Feresa attenuata are associated with deep waters and cooler sea temperature. Pseudorca crassidens prefers protective bays with productive waters. This study provides important information for reviewing marine spatial plans of the northern Savu Sea, specifically on managing species fisheries interaction, optimizing surveillance, and regulating marine traffic.

Many thanks for your interest and support, and also for the support of the MMS editors and reviewers.

Mochamad Iqbal Herwata Putra
https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9202-7857 <https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9202-7857>
Marine Megafauna Research Group
Misool Foundation