[MARMAM] Follow up to letter to the SMM re. unpaid work

Eiren Jacobson eiren.jacobson at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sun Jul 19 03:55:06 PDT 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for your support of our petition asking the Society for Marine Mammalogy to take a leadership role in eliminating the reliance on unpaid labor in our field.  You can find the finalized petition here: https://bit.ly/2OG9Mad and a cover letter here: https://bit.ly/2WBVEDl

As we discuss in the cover letter, eliminating the reliance on unpaid labor in marine mammal science will require sustained community involvement and willingness to change.  We encourage you to lobby within your individual organizations and to funding bodies to reconsider policies related to unpaid workers.  If any of you are interested in organizing further actions related to this issue, please feel free to reach out to us.

Sincerely,

Dr Eiren Jacobson, University of St Andrews
Ms Chloe Malinka, Aarhus University
Dr Margaret Siple, University of California, Santa Barbara