[MARMAM] New publication: Increased Plasma Cardiac Troponin I in Live-Stranded Cetaceans: Correlation with Pathological Findings of Acute Cardiac Injury

Kita Câmara kita_camara at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 03:05:13 PST 2020

Dear MARMAMers,

We are delighted to announce the publication of the following article in Scientific Reports:

Increased Plasma Cardiac Troponin I in Live-Stranded Cetaceans: Correlation with Pathological Findings of Acute Cardiac Injury

Nakita Câmara1, Eva Sierra1, Antonio Fernández1, Manuel Arbelo1, Marisa Andrada1, Antonio Espinosa de los Monteros1,  and Pedro Herráez1

  1.
Veterinary Histology and Pathology, Institute of Animal Health and Food Safety (IUSA), Veterinary School, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Arucas, 35416 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain

DOI: 10.1038/s41598-020-58497-3<https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-58497-3>

Abstract

Capture myopathy (CM), is a syndrome that occurs as the result of the stress during and after capture, handling, restraint, and transport of wild animals. Although CM has been described for many species of cetaceans, characterization of the acute cardiac injury - an important component of this syndrome - are still scarce. In this study, we firstly estimated a normal range for cardiac troponin I (cTnI) on cetaceans. Here, through biochemical analysis (especially of cTnI) and histopathological, histochemical, and immunohistochemical correlations with decreased troponin immunolabelling, we studied the cardiac injury in live-stranded cetaceans. Nine cetaceans which stranded alive on the Canary Islands (January 2016 - June 2019) were included in this study. Sampled individuals presented elevated values of plasma cTnI, which were correlated to histopathological lesions comprised of vascular changes and acute degenerative lesions. Immunohistochemically, injured cardiomyocytes showed a decreased intrafibrillar troponin immunoreaction. This is the first attempt to establish a normal baseline range for cTnI in cetaceans, and the first study comparing plasma biomarkers values with histopathological and immunohistochemical findings. This approach allowed us to demonstrate the degree of cardiac damage as a result of injury, consistent with ischemia–reperfusion lesions. The knowledge gained here could improve decision-making procedures during stressful situations, mainly in live-strandings, handling, and rehabilitation, thereby reducing the mortality of cetaceans.

The paper is available online at https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-58497-3#citeas
[https://media.springernature.com/m685/springer-static/image/art%3A10.1038%2Fs41598-020-58497-3/MediaObjects/41598_2020_58497_Fig1_HTML.png]<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-58497-3#citeas>
Increased Plasma Cardiac Troponin I in Live-Stranded Cetaceans: Correlation with Pathological Findings of Acute Cardiac Injury<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-58497-3#citeas>
www.nature.com

If you have any questions you can contact me at  kita_camara at hotmail.com or nakita.camara101 at alu.ulpgc.es

Best regards,

Nakita Câmara
DVM, PhD Student

Centro Atlántico de Investigación de Cetáceos,
Instituto Universitario de Sanidad Animal y Seguridad Alimentaria (IUSA), Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC).

Campus Universitario Cardones de Arucas, Trasmontaña s/n
35416 Arucas, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, España

Telephone: +34 928 45 97 16
Mobile: +34 611 05 00 08

Email: nakita.camara101 at alu.ulpgc.es