[MARMAM] CORRECTION- Hawaii Marine Animal Response Job Opening - Field Support Lead (part time)

Carissa Cabrera carissacabrera1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 10:08:10 PST 2020

ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:

Hawaii Marine Animal Response (HMAR) is the largest Hawaii-based nonprofit marine species conservation and response organization. We operate on the islands of Oahu and Molokai with our team of dedicated volunteers, interns and staff that are supported by private donations, corporate funding and government grants. We work to achieve our mission through activity every day of the year that impacts our core objectives: (1) growing an active and engaged public, (2) species management and recovery, and (3) saving animals that need help. Thousands of times each year, our field response, escalations, rescue, outreach and education activities help us move towards our vision of Hawaii’s ocean ecosystem shared in harmony by humans and protected marine species. Through agreements and relationships with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the State of Hawaii, our work is focused on the endangered Hawaiian monk seal, endangered and threatened sea turtles, protected seabird species and our nearshore ocean ecosystem.

ABOUT THE JOB OPENING:

We have an immediate opening for a part-time Field Support & Outreach Lead on the island of Oahu in the State of Hawaii. This job is a part-time position (20 hours per week) and is exempt from requirements to provide paid health care insurance. The position is responsible for the following duties:

- Training and managing volunteers and interns to ensure needed field activity is performed to high standards.

- Performing field response, surveys and outreach activity.

- Perform or assist with escalated response actions, animal intervention activity, marine animal rescue and stranding support.

- Engage with the public to educate people about protected marine species and the ocean ecosystem.

- Assist other staff with gaps in personnel coverage and on completing key projects.

NEEDED CORE COMPETENCIES:

- Possess excellent oral and written command of the English language.

- Have excellent interpersonal communications skills and the interest and ability to teach and mentor others.

- Be a person with a professional and open personal demeanor that enjoys contact with the public, volunteers and fellow staff.

- Possess effective personnel management skills.

- Ability to thrive in a highly dynamic environment and the flexibility to navigate changing organizational needs.

- Ability to maintain a calm demeanor in stressful conditions.

- Schedule flexibility and a sense of urgency that matches the unpredictable and critical nature of marine animal response.

- Some field response activity will involve interaction with animals that are expired and in various stages of decomposition. Candidates must be able to see and do unpleasant things without feeling sick.

- Possess a team-based work ethic and attitude.

- Ability to work in a virtual environment most often without direct supervision.

- Have a passion for and an understanding of environmental, conservation or wildlife issues.

REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

- 21 years of age or older.

- College degree or equivalent.

- Willingness to commit to this position for a period of at least 2 years.

- U.S. citizenship.

- A least 1 year in prior supervisory positions or other relevant experience.

- Relevant work experience, preferably in marine animal management, conservation or environmental matters.

- Full-time access to a reliable vehicle (candidates with full-time access to a truck will be given priority).

- Valid drivers license with clean driving record.

- Proof of insurance with Hawaii minimum liability coverage.

- Ability to swim in open ocean conditions.

- Access to a cellular phone with 4G data service.

- Access to a digital camera (not a smartphone) with at least 35X zoom and Wi-Fi capabilities.

- Access to binoculars with at least 10X magnification.

- Access to a personal computer with Internet access.

- Ability to walk at least 3 miles over shoreline conditions including rocky and unstable substrate.

- Ability to lift and carry at least 70 pounds over 100 feet.

- Be available for emergency response anywhere on the Island of Oahu.

- Physical abilities to support strenuous activities associated with restraint or transport of heavy marine animals in difficult shoreline terrain and challenging environmental conditions.

- Pass a background check.

ADDITIONAL DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:

- Experience with small boat operations and open ocean in-water environments.

- HAZWOPER Operations level certification (24-hour course) or higher.

- American Red Cross or equivalent first aid, CPR and AED certification.

- American Red Cross or equivalent lifeguard certification.

INTERESTED APPLICANTS AND DEADLINE:

Please send a letter of interest, your resume or CV with three references for consideration to info at h-mar.org. The deadline to receive these items is February 28, 2020 however candidates applying earlier will be given priority and an offer of employment may be made prior to October 31, 2019. To learn more about HMAR please visit our website at http://h-mar.org.