[MARMAM] New publication - Identification of seal foraging areas (horizontal vs. vertical approaches)

yann.planque at univ-lr.fr yann.planque at univ-lr.fr
Thu Jan 30 00:51:13 PST 2020

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to share you our new publication on *'Comparing the
horizontal and vertical approaches used to identify foraging areas of
two diving marine predators'* by Yann Planque, Mathilde Huon, Florence
Caurant, David Pinaud and Cécile Vincent, in Marine Biology.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00227-019-3636-8

*Abstract*:
Accurately locating the foraging areas of diving marine predators is
central to understanding their ecology and implementing conservation and
management regulations. This study compares horizontal and vertical
approaches of identifying seal foraging areas. We analysed GPS locations
and dive data obtained from GPS/GSM tags fitted on eight grey seals
(/Halichoerus grypus/) and nine harbour seals (/Phoca vitulina/). In the
horizontal dimension, we used the First Passage Time to identify
Area-Restricted Search (ARS) behaviour. In the vertical dimension, we
used two dive criteria indicating benthic foraging behaviour: dive shape
and vertical descent speed. The two approaches were spatially compared
using the Index of Differences in Spatial Pattern. We found that the two
approaches highlight similar hotspots when pooling all individuals of
the same species. However, the degree of overlap varied considerably at
the individual level. Some individuals performed most of their likely
foraging dives (vertical dimension) in areas where they also displayed
ARS behaviour (horizontal dimension), while others performed these dives
both in and outside ARS zones. We suggest that comparing foraging areas
detected from horizontal and vertical approaches (1) can strengthen the
confidence in the efficiency of approaches to accurately spatialize the
actual foraging effort of a diving predator at the scale of a colony
(sampled with several individuals); and (2) provides more comprehensive
insights into potential interindividual differences in foraging
strategies as some divergent individual strategies may not be detected
using only horizontal movements.

*Reference*:
Planque, Y., Huon, M., Caurant, F., Pinaud, D., Vincent, C. Comparing
the horizontal and vertical approaches used to identify foraging areas
of two diving marine predators. /Mar Biol/ 167, 25 (2020).
https://doi.org/10.1007/s00227-019-3636-8

If you do not have access to Marine Biology, do not hesitate to contact
me at yann.planque at univ-lr.fr.

Best regards,

Yann Planque

--
Yann Planque
Doctorant / PhD student

Centre Commun d'Analyses
5 allée de l'Océan, 17 000 La Rochelle, France
Tel: +33 (0)5 46 50 76 42
www.cebc.cnrs.fr <http://www.cebc.cnrs.fr>
www.univ-larochelle.fr <http://www.univ-larochelle.fr>