[MARMAM] New publication (Photographic capture-recapture analysis reveals a large population of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) with low site fidelity off the North West Cape, Western Australia)

Rebecca Haughey rebecca.haughey at flinders.edu.au
Tue Jan 28 14:21:05 PST 2020

Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our new publication:

Haughey R, Hunt T, Hanf D, Rankin R W and Parra, G J. 2020. Photographic capture-recapture analysis reveals a large population of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) with low site fidelity off the North West Cape, Western Australia. Frontiers in Marine Science 6:781 doi: 10.3389/fmars.2019.00781

Abstract: Little is known about the ecology of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops aduncus) inhabiting the coastal waters of tropical north-western Australia. We used photo-identification data collected between 2013 and 2015, site fidelity indexes and capture-recapture models to estimate the abundance and site fidelity patterns of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins (T. aduncus) inhabiting the coastal waters off the North West Cape (NWC), Western Australia. A standardized site fidelity index (SSFI) indicated low site fidelity (SSFI = 0.019) at the population level to the 130 km2 study area. Agglomerative hierarchical clustering (AHC) of individual re-sight rates classified 58% of individuals as "non-residents." Open POPAN modeling estimated a super-population size of 311 (95% CI: 249-373) individuals over the study period. A maximum likelihood transient model which considers both resident and non-resident individuals in a population, estimated a resident population of 141 (95% CI: 121-161) individuals and a super-population of 370 (95% CI: 333-407) individuals. These models indicate that a large population of Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins of relatively high density (an average of 2.4-2.8 bottlenose dolphins per km2) inhabits the waters off the NWC. The large number of both resident and non-resident bottlenose dolphins found throughout the coastal waters off the NWC suggest this area, as well as neighboring waters outside our study area, are of high importance to this species.

Open access to the article:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2019.00781/full

Rebecca Haughey
PhD candidate
Cetacean Ecology, Behaviour and Evolution Lab (CEBEL)
College of Science and Engineering, Flinders University

 * rebecca.haughey at flinders.edu.au
 *  www.cebel.org.au<http://www.cebel.org.au/>
Twitter: @ahaugheythere @CEBELresearch
Facebook: CEBEL