[MARMAM] New publication: "DetEdit: A graphical user interface for annotating and editing events detected in long-term acoustic monitoring data"

Alba Solsona Berga asolsonaberga at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 24 14:02:39 PST 2020

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors I am pleased to announce that we have recently
published an article in PLoS Computational Biology, describing a new
open-source software called DetEdit for annotating and editing acoustic
events.
This paper is accessible online at:
https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1007598

The full reference and abstract are found below:

Solsona-Berga A, Frasier KE, Baumann-Pickering S, Wiggins SM, Hildebrand JA
(2020) DetEdit: A graphical user interface for annotating and editing
events detected in long-term acoustic monitoring data. PLoS Comput Biol
16(1):e1007598. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1007598

Abstract

Passive acoustic monitoring has become an important data collection method,
yielding massive datasets replete with biological, environmental and
anthropogenic information. Automated signal detectors and classifiers are
needed to identify events within these datasets, such as the presence of
species-specific sounds or anthropogenic noise. These automated methods,
however, are rarely a complete substitute for expert analyst review. The
ability to visualize and annotate acoustic events efficiently can enhance
scientific insights from large, previously intractable datasets. A
MATLAB-based graphical user interface, called *DetEdit*, was developed to
accelerate the editing and annotating of automated detections from
extensive acoustic datasets. This tool is highly-configurable and
multipurpose, with uses ranging from annotation and classification of
individual signals or signal-clusters and evaluation of signal properties,
to identification of false detections and false positive rate estimation.
*DetEdit* allows users to step through acoustic events, displaying a range
of signal features, including time series of received levels, long-term
spectral averages, time intervals between detections, and scatter plots of
peak frequency, RMS, and peak-to-peak received levels. Additionally, it
displays either individual, or averaged sound pressure waveforms, and power
spectra within each acoustic event. These views simultaneously provide
analysts with signal-level detail and encounter-level context.
*DetEdit* creates
datasets of signal labels for further analyses, such as training
classifiers and quantifying occurrence, abundances, or trends. Although
designed for evaluating underwater-recorded odontocete echolocation click
detections, *DetEdit* can be adapted to almost any stereotyped impulsive
signal. Our software package complements available tools for the
bioacoustic community and is provided open source at
https://github.com/MarineBioAcousticsRC/DetEdit.

--
Alba Solsona Berga
Postdoctoral Researcher