[MARMAM] NEW PUBLICATION: Temporal variation in the occurrence of whale and dolphin species in the Azores from 2010 to 2017

A. Milou Bron milou.bron at outlook.com
Wed Jan 15 05:39:26 PST 2020

Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share news of our recent publication in
Student Undergraduate Research E-Journal! (SURE!):

BRON, Annelie Milou; JANSEN, Okka; VAN DER LINDE, Miranda. Temporal variation in the occurrence of whale and dolphin species in the Azores from 2010 to 2017. Student Undergraduate Research E-journal!, [S.l.], v. 5, p. 1-4, dec. 2019. ISSN 2468-0443. Available at: <https://journals.open.tudelft.nl/index.php/sure/article/view/4170>. doi: https://doi.org/10.25609/sure.v5.4170.

The paper is freely available through open access at:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/337840831_Temporal_variation_in_the_occurrence_of_whale_and_dolphin_species_in_the_Azores_from_2010_to_2017/

Abstract:
Global climate change (CC) affects marine mammals, such as cetaceans, by exposing them to an altered marine environment. Cetaceans are indirectly influenced by CC (e.g. through their prey, warmer environment). They are indicator species, significant to marine ecosystems and one of the most endangered vertebrate groups on this planet. Since oceanic water temperatures have increased, a noticeable shift in diversity of cetaceans present in marine hotspots is expected. In this paper, the community structure (occurrence) of cetacean species present around São Miguel Island, Portugal were investigated to contribute to the current understanding of the effects of CC on cetaceans.

Best wishes,
A. Milou Bron
milou.bron at outlook.com