[MARMAM] Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch Volunteer Opportunity

jen adams jenlouise2010 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 09:08:53 PST 2020

Marine Research and Outreach Assistant

Volunteer role

Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch is a charity based on the Isle of Man
dedicated to the conservation of cetaceans in Manx waters. We are
recruiting full-time volunteer Research and Outreach Assistants for the
2020 season. The placement runs for 6 months from 1st April until 1st
October and you must be available for the entire duration. This is a unique
opportunity to join our small but active team and become involved in all
areas of our research and outreach work, alongside running our Visitor's
Centre.

We have 5 regular species of cetacean in Manx waters *Phocoena phocoena,
Tursiops truncatus, Delphis delphis, Balaenoptera acutorostrata* and our
key species *Grampus griseus.* We have one of the largest inshore
populations of Grampus in Europe (and our waters are very shallow).

The majority of your time here will be split between five core activities:
land-based surveys, boat-based surveys, manning the visitor's centre,
office work, and public outreach events. You will be working alongside
MWDW's three operational staff and local volunteers on a rota of indoor
tasks and outdoor fieldwork. The placement offers a 50:50 balance of
research collection/analysis and public outreach.

Land and vessel-based surveys will take place when the weather and other
factors allow. Land-surveys can occur from first to last light for many
consecutive days. Vessel-based surveying is more dependent on weather and
we will not guarantee you a certain number of trips. You will, however,
have regular opportunities to conduct guiding on local tourist boats and
survey on board the government fisheries protection vessel.

The principal office activities you will participate in are data entry and
photo-identification analysis. QGIS is used to map sightings and you will
be taught how to use the software, should you not have prior experience.

Public outreach and awareness-raising is a key element of our work and we
run frequent public watch events through the summer. Although our primary
focus is on cetaceans, we will also see basking sharks and two species of
seal at these events. We also attend numerous small events such as
carnivals and fun-days with our travelling information stall.

We operate from our headquarters, The Manx Whale and Dolphin Visitor's
Centre, which is in the heart of Peel, attracting many locals and tourists.
We offer information about local species, recent sightings, how and where
to spot them, general cetacean facts and sell merchandise.  The Young
Scientist's Area features a collection of locally found bones and offers
games and quizzes for the young enthusiast. Craft and educational workshops
for children will be organised for the summer months.

Another highlight of 2020 will be the running of the 2nd Manx Whale and
Dolphin Watch Show, which takes place in August. Andy Peters from the Whale
Workshop will be bringing several realistic and life-size models of marine
species over to the Island for display in a large venue in our capital
city. You will assist us with the organising, setting up and running of the
event. The 1st show in 2018 saw over 2,000 visitors through the doors over
one weekend.

As a volunteer for Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch, you will be spending the
summer in the tiny but beautiful ‘city’ of Peel, on the Isle of Man. Peel
is a fantastic place to live with two beaches, an impressive castle,
entertaining pubs and the chance of seeing basking sharks from the
breakwater.

We do not have a typical working week as we must take advantage of good
weather when it is available. You will be expected to work 5 days a week,
including most weekends.

Experience is not essential but a strong desire to further a career in
conservation, marine mammal science or environmental education is integral.
You will be managed and trained by 3 full time staff, but you are expected
to have a strong work ethic and be able to think proactively, learning from
the role and using your own initiative to develop new projects over the
course of the summer.

If you can bring a car, this would open much more flexibility in terms of
exploring the island and conducting surveys without a member of staff. Work
related fuel costs will be reimbursed.

You will be living in shared accommodation in the centre of Old Peel.
Accommodation is currently being finalised and is reasonably priced and
will not be more than £75 per week. Local pub work in the evenings has been
a popular option for previous volunteers to help with living costs, and
this work can almost be guaranteed.

You can get to the Isle of Man easily from the UK or Ireland via the ferry (
Steam-Packet <https://www.steam-packet.com/>) or a flight to our airport
(Ronaldsway).

To apply, please email info at mwdw.net with a copy of your CV and a covering
letter explaining why you would like to come and volunteer with us.
Applications deadline is Sunday 16th February and telephone or video
interviews will be held week beginning 17th
Contact details: Jen Adams 07624 393496 info at mwdw.net www.mwdw.net