[MARMAM] Volunteer for Acoustic Research Month at Dolphin Encountours Research Centre, Mozambique

sasha dines sashafrancess at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 07:53:50 PST 2020

**Volunteer - February is Acoustic Research Month at Dolphin Encountours Research Centre!**

Sea Search Research and Conservation will be joining the Dolphin Research Team in the Ponta do Ouro Partial Marine Reserve in Mozambique over the month of February 2020. During this time Sasha Dines will be visiting and collecting data for her PhD "Using novel acoustic methodology to inform conservation actions for South Africa's most endangered dolphin; the Indian Ocean humpback dolphin (Sousa plumbea)”

During this time we aim to undertake dedicated field trips which will find us using an array of equipment including hydrophones, recorders and camera’s both in-water and out to further study our local population of dolphins. Data will be processed and analysed to use in conservation measures to further protect these species along the African coastline.

We have four spaces for volunteers who would like to dive in and explore the way of wild dolphins and this fascinating area of research.

Volunteers can expect to gain knowledge on ethical and responsible dolphin tourism that funds research and conservation

Dates: 25 January to 23 February
There is a once off fee of R22 200 which includes:
- Accommodation sharing 30 nights (Two meals per day)
- Training for specific tasks
- DolphinCare contribution
- Dedicated Acoustic Research Field trips ~ 3 p/week
- Mentoring by the Dolphin and Acoustic Research Team
- Dolphin Pack with t-shirts to be worn while working, certificate of attendance, pictures & dolphin diaries from your stay; information on our dolphins, research & interesting reference papers.
- Gear use (mask, snorkel and fins)
- Return private transfer from Maputo International

For more information please head over to https://www.dolphinencountours.org/blog/volunteer-february-is-acoustic-research-month <https://www.dolphinencountours.org/blog/volunteer-february-is-acoustic-research-month>

or to reserve your spot please email angie at dolphincare.org <mailto:research at dolphincare.org>

Sasha Dines

PhD Candidate

Sea Search Research and Conservation,

Department of Botany and Zoology, University of Stellenbosch
Cape Town

Cell: (ZA) +27 791223150 (UK) +44 7875011927
sdines at sun.ac.za <mailto:sdines at sun.ac.za>

http://seasearch.co.za <http://seasearch.co.za/>
https://www.sousaproject.org <https://www.sousaproject.org/>