[MARMAM] New publication: Home Alone: Solitary Rough-Toothed Dolphin (Steno bredanensis) in Residence Area of Guiana Dolphins (Sotalia guianensis).

Israel Maciel oceanmaciel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 07:38:49 PST 2020

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our new publication "Home
Alone: Solitary Rough-Toothed Dolphin (Steno bredanensis) in Residence Area
of Guiana Dolphins (Sotalia guianensis)."

The paper can be accessed here: https://doi.org/10.1578/AM.46.1.2020.42

Abstract
Social organization is an important feature of the behavior of most
delphinids, including the rough-toothed dolphin (Steno bredanensis),
although, even in social dolphins, specific circumstances may lead to
solitary behavior. In these situations, a solitary dolphin may shift to
interacting with humans. Between November 2018 and April 2019, we obtained
seven records of the occurrence of a solitary juvenile rough-toothed
dolphin in Sepetiba Bay, southeastern Brazil, within an area inhabited by a
resident population of Guiana dolphins, Sotalia guianensis. The solitary
dolphin occupied a small home range located in an inner area of the bay,
close to a port and industrial installations. This area is known to be
inhabited by shoals of mullet (Mugilidae) and is not visited frequently by
the resident Guiana dolphins. The solitary rough-toothed dolphin emitted
three types of vocalization: pulsed calls (N = 9), echolocation click
trains (N = 12), and whistles (N = 3), and spent most of its activity time
interacting with humans (42%) and foraging (32%). The area occupied by this
dolphin, together with its low vocalization rate, suggest the avoidance of
agonistic interactions with local Guiana dolphins. The behavior pattern
presented by the solitary rough-toothed dolphin indicates the third stage
of development of friendly solitary dolphin behavior. At this stage, a
management plan is urgently required to avoid the negative consequences of
the human-dolphin interaction.

You can also contact me directly: oceanmaciel at gmail.com

Best,

Israel Maciel