[MARMAM] seasonal internships in animal care and training

Stefani Skrovan sskrovan at mlml.calstate.edu
Thu Jan 9 13:03:04 PST 2020

*Would you like to work with a team that always puts the animals first?*

Short-Term Seasonal Internships applications are now being accepted!

*Animal Professionals to be proud of*:

The SLEWTHS (*Science Learning and Exploration With The Help of Sea
lions*) project
is the non-profit arm of Animal Training and Research Intl, and is
affiliated with Moss Landing Marine Laboratories and the California State
University system. Located on the beautiful central coast of California, we
function as a small teaching aquarium specializing in the highest levels of
training with compassionate care. SLEWTHS is a long-term rescue facility
for un-releasable sea lions. For more information, please visit our website
at www.animaltraining.us <http://www.animaltraining.usT>

Internship Applications are now being accepted for the SLEWTHS  project.  Two
intensive internship levels are available for our April – June 2020, and
July – Sept. 2020 terms: *Animal Care* (entry level), and *Animal Training*
(candidates with training/animal experience). Each unpaid internship is 3
months in duration (extensions available for excellent candidates).
Application deadline is February 1, 2020.  These are unpaid positions, and
interns are responsible for providing their own housing and transportation.
Once accepted, SLEWTHS staff will do their best to assist in finding rental
housing options.  International applicants are encouraged, however no visa
assistance can be provided.

The *Animal Care Internship* is designed for those interested in a career
with animals to gain valuable experience with world class animal training
in a force-free environment. Interns will participate in and learn all
aspects of husbandry such as food preparation, record keeping, daily
cleaning, and facility maintenance. Interns may also participate in public
outreach and conservation programs and current research, all with the
cooperative help of sea lions. Our goal is to give interns a well-rounded
experience in a variety of areas while providing expert training exposure.
Optional certification is available in Animal Care.

            *"I love the passion everyone has in providing the best care
for the animals. This project exceeded my expectations."*  -Jacqueline
Olvera (intern)

*“The positive and enthusiastic attitudes of the SLEWTHS staff, gives this
program really great energy. You all have created a safe environment which
has made it easy and fun to learn.”*  -Jennifer LaBar

The *Animal Training Internship* is available for professionals or those
who already have hands-on experience training or caring for animals.  They
will perform all the tasks above, but in addition, can train and work
directly with our animals in both protected and free contact. Interns may
also get credentialed up to trainer level (according to past
experience).  Interns
must take the Animal Training 101course (additional cost), offered online
at: https://animaltraining.us/registration-open-at-101-online/ or have
taken another ATR workshop/course.

            *“The most valuable experience was my animal training sessions
because it was the most hands on experience I had because I was able to see
my improvements from the first session to the last and get valuable
insight.”-* Mia Young (intern)

*Interns must be:*
• 18 years or older.
• Able to commit to a minimum of at least 12 weeks, 40 hours a week minimum.
• Available to work weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
• Able to lift 50 lbs, work long hours, and work outside in all weather
conditions.
• Able to maintain a positive attitude, good work ethic, sense of
responsibility, and a strong willingness to learn.
• Able to obtain housing and transportation (public transportation in our
area is very poor).

*To Apply:*  Instructions and applications may be found at
https://animaltraining.us/seasonal-volunteer-internship-position/

email sskrovan at mlml.calstate.edu with any questions

--
Stefani Skrovan