[MARMAM] New publication: Total and subcellular Ti distribution and detoxification processes in Pontoporia blainvillei and Steno bredanensis dolphins from Southeastern Brazil (Rachel Ann Hauser-Davis)

Rachel Ann Hauser Davis rachel.hauser.davis at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 10:22:28 PST 2020

Dear MARMAM colleagues,

My co-authors and I are very happy to share our new publication, which is
open-access for 50 days (until 12th April, 2020) and can be downloaded at
https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1acge_,3htb~KD
<https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1acge_,3htb~KD>

Abstract:
Titanium (Ti), used in many daily-use products, such as shampoos and
sunscreen filters, in the form of TiO2 nanoparticles (NPs), may elicit
adverse marine biota effects. Marine mammal Ti data is scarce, and
subcellular distribution and detoxification information is non-existent. Ti
concentrations and metalloprotein detoxification in Pontoporia blainvillei
and Steno bredanensis dolphins from Southeastern Brazil were assessed.
Metallothionein (MT) concentrations were determined spectrophotometrically,
total and subcellular Ti, by ICP-MS and detox- ification, by HPLC-ICP-MS.
Ti detoxification occurred through MT complexation. Statistical Ti-MT
associations were observed in S. bredanensis liver, indicating TiO2 NPs
contamination, as Ti binds to MT only as NPs. MT-Ti correlations were
observed for both the coastal (P. blainvillei) and offshore (S.
bredanensis) dolphins, evidencing oceanic TiO2 diffusion. Ti detoxification
through binding to reduced glutathione occurred in both species.
Thermostable subcellular fractions are a valuable tool for cetacean Ti
detoxification assessments and should be applied to conservation efforts.

Cheers
Rachel
Dr. Rachel Ann Hauser Davis
Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (Fiocruz)