[MARMAM] Monterey Bay Marine Mammal Photo ID Internship Opportunity

Talty cmtalty at optonline.net
Wed Feb 19 14:27:13 PST 2020

Monterey Bay Whale Watch Marine Mammal Photo ID Internship Opportunity

Join Monterey Bay Whale Watch for an exciting research opportunity! Help collect valuable data during our Killer Whale season and Humpback Whale season on all day whale watching trips, research trips, and shorter passenger trips. Collection of data includes filling out data sheets, taking photo ID pictures, inputting data into the computer, editing wildlife videos, using a hydrophone, plus other research opportunities.

Learn invaluable information on Monterey Bay and its Transient (Biggs) Killer Whales, plus several other wildlife species we may encounter!

We collaborate heavily with Cascadia Research Collective and HappyWhale – a significant portion of the internship is working with Humpback Whale photo ID projects.

Interns are also expected to interact with passengers, showing them educational materials and answering questions.

Interns must commit to the ENTIRE Killer Whale season - April 1st - May 31st (can be extended), AND/OR for our summer season of May-September.

You must be able to commit to at least two months and AT LEAST 20 hours per week. This will include 1-2 days on the boat and 1-2 days inputting data.

You will be working directly with Marine Biologists, some of who have been studying Monterey Bay wildlife for several years.

Interns need to be able to work long hours in variable weather conditions. All day trips are at least 8 hours, sometimes reaching more than 12 hours.

Photo ID experience preferred, but not necessary.

This is an unpaid position and housing is not provided.

College credit can be provided in most cases.

Internship is located at 84 Fisherman’s Wharf, Monterey, CA.

We are looking for 1-2 interns to fill the April-May slot (can be extended) and 4-5 interns to fill our summer season (May-September).

For more details, please email Colleen Talty at mbwwassistant at gmail.com.

Send attached application and resume to mbwwassistant at gmail.com mailto:mbwwassistant at gmail.com .