[MARMAM] VOLUNTEER AND INTERN RECRUITMENT FOR THE MONTENEGRO DOLPHIN RESEARCH (SOUTH ADRIATIC SEA)

Tim Awbery tim.awbery91 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 01:38:30 PST 2020

Dear all,

Please find below details of summer vacancies at our Montenegro Dolphin
Research project.

OUR PROJECT

The Montenegro Dolphin Research is a scientific project run by DMAD -
Marine Mammals Research Association. Our study is the first and only long
term research study of marine mammals in Montenegrin coastal waters, with
recent surveys covering the northern coastline of Albania.

We aim to address questions about marine mammal abundance, distribution and
behaviour, define critical habitats and investigate the impact of major
threats, ranging from tourism to seismic practices.

Our wider attention focuses on the promotion and implementation of
awareness initiatives targeted at the local community, particularly youth
and women.

More details on the project can be found here:
http://www.dmad.org.tr/montenegro-dolphin-research

WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR

We offer several volunteering and internship positions: this is a valuable
opportunity for graduates, that wish to gain experience in the marine
mammal research field, and undergraduates, that would like to obtain
internship academic credits.

It could be used to develop a scientific project for BSc and MSc thesis.
However, we are also open to accept applications from anyone whose passion
for marine mammals is strong and sincere.

Opportunities are available *from now until September 2020*. The minimum
duration of the placements is 2 MONTHS, with possible exceptions for
skilled candidates.

REQUIREMENTS

-True interest for marine conservation, self-motivation, maturity and
ability to work responsibly;

-Ability to cohabit in a dynamic and multicultural environment;

-Respect for the organisation's rules and willingness to follow standards
and procedures;

-Proven experience of working effectively as part of a team;

-Fluent English (both spoken and written) and good communication skills;

-Willingness to learn new software applications.

-Background in marine biology and previous fieldwork experience are an
advantage.

FIELD WORK AND RESPONSIBILITIES

-Performing land-based surveys at least three times a week, including
sunrise and sunset hours;

-Performing boat-based surveys once a fortnight (occasionally more if
possible).

-Collecting dolphins sighting and behavioural data, as well as
environmental and anthropogenic data;

-Operating theodolite and managing its software Pythagoras;

-Data entry and analysis;

-Cataloguing and matching individuals of target species for photo-ID
studies via Discovery software;

-Raising stakeholder awareness through conservation actions.

-Promoting citizen-science activities

TRAINING

The Montenegro Dolphin Research team provides lectures and field work
training as well as constant mentoring.

You will be given the chance to learn the most popular methodologies used
in marine mammal research including:

-GIS mapping

-Theodolite operation and Pythagoras software;

-Photo-identification;

-Discovery, Darwin and Logger 2010 software;

-Systematic data collection and data analysis;

-Visual and acoustic behaviour of marine mammals

-Scientific manuscript and technical report writing skills

PROJECT PARTICIPATION FEE

The positions require a contribution fee of 700 Euros/ month which fully
goes to support the project and the participation fee includes:

-Accommodation and expenses

-Transportation between the project sites within and between Montenegro and
Albania

-Training and lectures

-Scientific support

-Field work

-Use of the equipment

Applicants are responsible for their transportation to/from Montenegro,
meals, insurance (all participants should have health and/or travel
insurance) and personal expenses.

HOW TO APPLY

Email your CV and cover letter to *tim at dmad.org.tr <tima at dmad.org.tr>* (Tim
Awbery) and *info at dmad.org.tr <info at dmad.org.tr>*, explaining why you are a
suitable asset for our team and which goals you hope to achieve with us!
Please mention the PERIOD OF INTEREST AND DURATION OF AVAILABILITY!

If you wish to have more info about our internships and work please take a
look at some of our web pages and social media:

Our research: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-projects

Our internships: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-internships

Our publications: http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-publications
<http://www.dmad.org.tr/our-internships>

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marinemammalsresearch/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DMADforNature/

All the best,

Tim

*Tim Awbery*
*Research Associate and Supervisor at Marine Mammal Research Association*
*Deniz Memelileri Araştırma Derneği (DMAD)*
*info at dmad.org.tr <info at dmad.org.tr>*
*www.dmad.org.tr <http://www.dmad.org.tr/>*