[MARMAM] Cetacean photo-id internship in Reykjavík, Iceland

Sabrina Voswinkle sabrina at elding.is
Mon Feb 17 04:22:34 PST 2020

Cetacean photo-id internship in Reykjavík, Iceland

Elding Whale Watching, based in Reykjavík, Iceland, will be offering 3
students (Bachelor's or Master's) the opportunity to join us for an
internship of up to 5 months to learn the basic skills of cetacean
behaviour, cetacean data collection, data preparation and
photo-identification. This is a great way to get your marine biology career
started!

Interns are expected to work 5 days a week and will either be on our boats
to collect behavioural and photographic data or in the office to process
data on a computer. Timings and exact days can be flexible once the basic
training is completed. As data is collected during whale watching trips,
applicants need to agree to also interact with passengers from time to time
as we want to increase awareness about cetaceans and their threats.

Main aspect of the research will be photo-identification which is done not
only in our company internally but also in cooperation with other
institutes. However, also geographical as well social analyses are done.
For further information we try to update our website regularily,
www.eldingresearch.com

*Requirements: *Enrolment in a biology, environmental or eco-tourism
degree, some knowledge and experience with photography and use of DSLR
cameras, basics in Excel. A personal laptop as well as a DSLR camera are
beneficial. Good English is necessary and the love for outdoors and marine
mammals. Weather in Iceland can be harsh and data may still be collected
despite rain, snow and strong winds.

*Living:* Accommodation and food are not covered and are of the interns own
responsibility. However, on working days lunch and/or snacks as well as hot
drinks are provided. Also we will do our best to aid in the search of
affordable accommodation. Successful applicants will receive a pdf file
with further useful information about the internship as well as living in
Iceland.

Beginning of the internship is from *15.05.2020* with a preferred duration
of 3 months or more. A personal project for a BSc or alike university
credits can be considered and developed during the internship.

I encourage students who are seeking to gain experience in the field of
marine biology/ eco-tourism to send a cv, a short motivation letter and
period of availability to *sabrina at elding.is* <sabrina at elding.is>* by
01.03.2020*

--
Sabrina Voswinkel

*Elding Whale Watching*
*Elding Viðey Tours*
Tel: (+354) 519 5000 <callto:+354)+519+5000>
elding at elding.is
www.elding.is / www.videy.com