[MARMAM] New Publication: Simond et al., 2020

Antoine Simond antoine.simond at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 08:03:10 PST 2020

Dear colleagues,

We are very pleased to announce the recent publication of our last paper
"Metabolomic profiles of the endangered St. Lawrence Estuary beluga
population and associations with organohalogen contaminants". The article
is available here: https://authors.elsevier.com/c/1aaCEB8cco9t6
Alternatively, please feel free to email me to get a PDF copy.

AUTHORS
Simond, A.E., Houde, M., Lesage, V., Michaud, R. and Verreault, J.

ABSTRACT
The endangered beluga (Delphinapterus leucas) population residing in the
St. Lawrence Estuary (SLE; Eastern Canada) is declining. The elevated
tissue concentrations of a wide range of organohalogen contaminants might
play a role in the non-recovery of this whale population. Organohalogens
have been reported to impair the reg- ulation ofseveral metabolic products
fromcellular reactions in mammals such as amino acids and fatty acids. The
objective of this study was to investigate a suite of organohalogens
including polychlorinated biphenyls, organ- ochlorine pesticides,
short-chain chlorinated paraffins (SCCPs), polybrominated diphenyl ethers,
and selected emerging flame retardants in blubber (biopsy) collected from
40 SLE male belugas, and their relationships to skin concentrations
oftargetedmetabolites (i.e., 21 amino acids, 22 biogenic amines, 18 fatty
acids, and 17 energy metabolites). A cluster analysis based on metabolomic
profiles distinguished two main subgroups of belugas in the upper and lower
sector of their summer habitat in the SLE. These results indicate that
ecological factors such as local prey availability and diet composition
played a role in shaping the metabolite profiles of belugas. Moreover, SCCP
concentrations in SLE male belugas correlated negatively with those of four
unsaturated fatty acids (C16:1ω7, C22:5ω3c1, C22:5ω3c2, and C22:6ω3), and
positively with those of acetylornithine (biogenic amine). These findings
suggest that biological functions such as lipid metabolism represent
potential targets for organohalogens in this population, and further our
understanding on potential health risks associated with elevated
organohalogen exposure in cetaceans. Our results also underscore the
necessity of considering ecolog- ical factors (e.g., diet and habitat use)
in metabolomic studies.

KEYWORDS
Marine mammal; Metabolomic; Halogenated flame retardant; Organochlorine;
Short-chain chlorinated paraffin; Lipid metabolism

Regards and all the best,

*ANTOINE SIMOND*
*Candidat au doctorat | PhD candidate*
Département des sciences biologiques | Biological Sciences Department
Université du Québec à Montréal | University of Quebec at Montreal
C.P. 8888, Succursale Centre-Ville | P.O. Box 8888, Downtown branch
Montréal (Québec), Canada, H3C 3P8 | Montreal (Quebec), Canada, H3C 3P8
Bureau SB-3650 | Office SB-3650
Courriel | E-mail: simond.antoine at courrier.uqam.ca

«  *We feel fundamentally disconnected from nature and therefore not
responsible for the ecological consequences of our actions. Once we learn
that our very being, essence, health and happiness depend on Mother Earth,
we have no choice but to radically shift the way we treat her.* » - David
Suzuki.